Most interesting aboreal

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My A. purpurea is the most active arboreal in the house. She has filled the bottom half of her enclosure with webbing, and is always adding more. For the most part she's out in the open, either just sitting, webbing or doing marathon grooming sessions. Crickets don't last too long in her enclosure. She's pretty calm too, just sits when I have to go into her enclosure to fill the water dish or remove cricket parts. :)

I plan on getting a H. maculata and S. calceatum at some point in the future. Can't decide which one will be first since I like what I've read about both of them. :D

harrymaculata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cryptly said:
My A. purpurea is the most active arboreal in the house. She has filled the bottom half of her enclosure with webbing, and is always adding more. For the most part she's out in the open, either just sitting, webbing or doing marathon grooming sessions. Crickets don't last too long in her enclosure. She's pretty calm too, just sits when I have to go into her enclosure to fill the water dish or remove cricket parts. :)

I plan on getting a H. maculata and S. calceatum at some point in the future. Can't decide which one will be first since I like what I've read about both of them. :D
get the maculata first there slightly less aggressive only slightly but males are nasty well mines doesn't even bother with threat postures just stikes :D

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
harrymaculata said:
get the maculata first there slightly less aggressive only slightly but males are nasty well mines doesn't even bother with threat postures just stikes :D
At what size does the color difference between males and females start showing? Or does it not show until maturity? My local pet store has a small one (2.5" to 3"), and I'm tempted to bring the poor, extremely stressed T home with me, but they want too much for it. If it's female, I wouldn't mind paying the extra, but I would mind if it's male.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bjorn said:
I thinking about purchasing an aboreal T. What seems to be the most active species? Most interesting behaviour?
How active the T is all depends on the conditions it is being kept but, based on my personal observations I would pick:

Any Avicularia species - Active, fast, docile, skittish.
Any Psalmopoeus - Active, fast, semi-aggressive, skittish.

harrymaculata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cryptly said:
At what size does the color difference between males and females start showing? Or does it not show until maturity? My local pet store has a small one (2.5" to 3"), and I'm tempted to bring the poor, extremely stressed T home with me, but they want too much for it. If it's female, I wouldn't mind paying the extra, but I would mind if it's male.
i think they show there colour at maturity mine female is 4inches and my male is 5 but my female still has a lot of growing to do. the males look similar to juvie fems untill there last moult, but i would never sex a t based on sexual diamophism i thought my male was female due to this then it moulted into this big furry feather legged thing. get it you won't be disapointed just be carefull when rehousing there fast and it has to be seen to be belived

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
harrymaculata said:
i think they show there colour at maturity mine female is 4inches and my male is 5 but my female still has a lot of growing to do. the males look similar to juvie fems untill there last moult, but i would never sex a t based on sexual diamophism i thought my male was female due to this then it moulted into this big furry feather legged thing. get it you won't be disapointed just be carefull when rehousing there fast and it has to be seen to be belived
I kinda figured it would be something that didn't show up to maturity, but I wanted to make sure. :) I'll take another look at the little guy today, and if groceries don't end up being too much maybe I'll bring it home. :D

CreepyCrawly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I love the Psalmopoeus species, all that are in the pet trade (I have at least one of each - 5 irmnia currently). I must say that my P. pulchra is probably the most active, or most visible. She is out at least once every day, and is very beautiful, in a somewhat subtle way. All of them are fantastic eaters, and come out as soon as I start tossing crickets in. Even my little slings feed just wonderfully. While they do all hide most of the time, all I have to do is toss a cricket in to see any one of them. I just have to make sure that there are no uneaten crickets left in the cages, otherwise they will just stay in their hides and wait for the crickets to come to them. I used to never see my male P. irminia (prior to maturation) as he would just sit and wait for food to come to him. Cutting back on the food offered solved that problem. Don't take me wrong, I don't underfeed or starve any of my spiders, they all are nice and plump. But by only offering food once or twice a week, and only offering 3 or 4 crickets at a time they are much more active, and probably healthy. None of them have been really what I would call aggressive. The only one to show me a threat display is my adult male P. irminia who would display or strike, and that was ONLY when I would pull his bark out, and force him from his hiding place and cup him for transporting to a new cage, or cleaning of his cage.

But my OBT and my P. regalis are also very wonderful arboreals, who are visible at least a couple of times a week.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if you got to have one i go for A / AVICULARIA as i like to play it safe ( and when was the last time a sock jumped out and bit any one lol ) and any one know a ( t ) that will get the shoping in {D :razz: {D :D **** phil

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
only because they are a little more venomous yes, not to kill a human lol dont laugh of me, but I dont suggest to start with one of these, with it come's the rehousing and maintenance , a noob dont know how a spider react and I think its better start with something that wont be teleporting in front of him, the animal or the man could get injured , anyway.... its not my T, not my money ,not my finger's, soo do what you want then, that was just my advice, I almost bought a P regalis as first spider and im happy to dont have it as first spider, they are very nervous ...

as I said do what you want , my advice did'nt been take seriously

second point they are no good display spider, I guess you want a display spider as first T ... I ordered a regalis as first spider, after I came in a very good forum, and asked if it was a good idea, 69 replys told me to dont get it home, and today, I totally agree at 100% with 'em all

My first T was a P. Regalis. I did my research and gave 'er a healthy amount of respect, and I've had no problems with her at all. Yeah, she fast, but nothin to worry about. The key is to respect them, but not fear them. If you do your research first, then there's no real issue with a Pokie first. In all honesty it helped to really get me into the hobby by having such a challenging T to start with.

AlexRC

Arachnopeon
Lol, this thread went kinda off the point and into a debate.
I think that anyone who takes the time to ask what they should start with, deserves an honest answer, which in this case would be Avic Avic, or others from the genus.

Stewjoe

Arachnosquire
We appreciate your input and welcome to the board but FYI the last post was 3 1/2 years ago.