Most formidable tarantula?

Leila

Arachnobaron
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Sorry for being late and all, but hahahahahaaaaaaaaa!!!! Hahahaaaaa!!!

@Moakmeister, this thread gave me cancer too. But then....it gave me a belly ache from laughing so hard! :playful:

Veles

Arachnobaron

@Moakmeister, this thread gave me cancer too. But then....it gave me a belly ache from laughing so hard! :playful:

Guilty pleasure: threads like this.
I know should have been more clear about my question.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince

As you said what a hulabaloo - the OP just would not let up, I'm replying and he's like err no....lol - how are you anyway pal, not seen you around lately.

Leila

Arachnobaron
@mconnachan, oh, I'm around. Lurking. ;) lol.

Ok, Sorry, sorry.. for derailing. You guys carry on with your conversation. I will sink back into the shadows for a bit. :rofl:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Most idiots get bitten multiple times, by various specimen :) How is it possible that some keepers say "I keep tarantulas for 20 years, never been bit" while others say "OBTs? Yeah, I got tagged 4 times by those".
I must be a good keeper then as most of us are, I have never been tagged by any of my T's, I've got too much resect for them, to even get into a situation that would require the T to tag me....to those who have - how did it happen, was it your own stupid fault or was the spider just too defensive on that particular day, answers on a postcard to @mconnachan haha. Seriously though any anecdotes you'd like to share, feel free to post.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@Veles if I ever got tagged?! No freakin way. Not that I am her keeper for a long time, she's six months in my care now, but you can bet I take every precaution to not get bitten. By any of my eightlegged fuzzies.
I do know I was scared shitless when housing her. She was only 7cm DLS, but that meant 7 cm of undiluted fierce and angry. I remember the seller saying, mwah, she's pretty calm. Yeah right. If she started dripping more venom I think she would be spitting it to me. :eek:
Love her though. Most of the time :D

Veles

Arachnobaron
@Veles if I ever got tagged?! No freakin way. Not that I am her keeper for a long time, she's six months in my care now, but you can bet I take every precaution to not get bitten. By any of my eightlegged fuzzies.
I do know I was scared shitless when housing her. She was only 7cm DLS, but that meant 7 cm of undiluted fierce and angry. I remember the seller saying, mwah, she's pretty calm. Yeah right. If she started dripping more venom I think she would be spitting it to me. :eek:
Love her though. Most of the time :D
Thats great man,i have not been biten by any of my tarantulas but as you might have read i got pretty screwed up by my S.gigantea.By the way how old is she?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thats great man,i have not been biten by any of my tarantulas but as you might have read i got pretty screwed up by my S.gigantea.By the way how old is she?
Woman. ;)
I have no idea how old she is. Considering this species grows like a glacier, she could be anywhere between two to five years, depending on temps and feeding.
Age is less important than size, since some species grow like weeds (L.parahybana of A.geniculata for instance), and others grow slow, even when kept and fed the same as those aforementioned species. :)

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Wait Portia slings can be bought?!
Where did you find that?
A site called Minibeast wildlife. They sell lots of weird things, but you won't be able to get one shipped outside of Australia because restrictions :shifty:. Unless you want to go on a field trip to a few south East Asian islands you probably won't be able to get one

Veles

Arachnobaron
A site called Minibeast wildlife. They sell lots of weird things, but you won't be able to get one shipped outside of Australia because restrictions :shifty:. Unless you want to go on a field trip to a few south East Asian islands you probably won't be able to get one
Thats not so bad given that i will be going to australia in a few months.:D

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I've only ever been bitten once and that's because my first T was an OW (not much else to buy here). I still have her and she's much more passive than she used to be :D
What sp. and what were the circumstances @Nephila Edulis - just curious, this could be a great thred to start, informative and yet could be funny as well, as long as they're were no serious bites.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
That happens even to the best keepers.
No I have to disagree there, most keepers don't get tagged, they're too careful to be in those situations, it happens yes, but not often, in fact very very rarely!

Veles

Arachnobaron
No I have to disagree there, most keepers don't get tagged, they're too careful to be in those situations, it happens yes, but not often, in fact very very rarely!
No no you misunderstood my post,even the best keeper may get tagget once by one of his tarantulas,not frequently.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
What sp. and what were the circumstances @Nephila Edulis - just curious, this could be a great thred to start, informative and yet could be funny as well, as long as they're were no serious bites.
A sub adult Phlogius. This was my first T and this was before the internet was a widespread thing in my area. I had no idea of how fast and aggressive OWs were, I didn't even know what an OW was. Every book I had read said "tarantula venom can't hurt you" and "tarantulas are slow and clumsy". It was a painful experience :p

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Every book I had read said "tarantula venom can't hurt you" and "tarantulas are slow and clumsy". It was a painful experience :p
Well what a crock of nonsense that turned out to be....you obviously know that's not the case, thankfully, I was always told ah it's only as bad as a bee sting, maybe a NW. but those fangs are a sure fire way to dismiss that assumption.

Last edited:

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Well what a crock that turned out to be....you obviously know that's not the case, thankfully, I was always told ah it's only as bad as a bee sting, maybe a NW. but those fangs are a sure fire way to dismiss that assumption.
Exactly. Centimetre long fangs as bad as a bumblebee? Yeah... nah

Last edited by a moderator: