Most formidable tarantula?

14pokies

Arachnoprince
From terrestrial tarantulas i have:Aphonopelma seemanni,Acanthoscurria Chacoana,Acanthoscurria geniculata,Brachypelma vagans and Grammostola pulchripes.Bu overall i am more into reptiles than inverts.
So you can't speak on whether the statement you made and are defending vehemently is true or false on personal experience or scientific data..

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
When I see the word formidable, I think venom, which goes to either S.cal, H.maculata, or one of the Selenocosmia Spp.

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
Sorry,should have been more clear.So whats your opinion on this subject?
When it comes to hunting, I would say that the larger species (Theraphosa Spp., Poecilotheria Spp. etc.) tackle large prey with ease, but overall the most formidable tarantula is whichever one is tackling prey at this very moment

Veles

Arachnobaron
When it comes to hunting, I would say that the larger species (Theraphosa Spp., Poecilotheria Spp. etc.) tackle large prey with ease, but overall the most formidable tarantula is whichever one is tackling prey at this very moment
Would you personaly favour some o
Do you specifically favour some of the mentioned species over others?

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
Would you personaly favour some o

Do you specifically favour some of the mentioned species over others?
My personal favorites are Pokies (my profile picture is my P.fasciata munching a Dubia), Lampropelma Sp.Borneo Black, P.muticus and H.maculata, all of which have potent venom and in the case of my specimens, action-packed feeding responses. That said, my A.hentzi and L.parahybana and C.versicolor slings have just as aggressive responses as my OW's

Veles

Arachnobaron
My personal favorites are Pokies (my profile picture is my P.fasciata munching a Dubia), Lampropelma Sp.Borneo Black, P.muticus and H.maculata, all of which have potent venom and in the case of my specimens, action-packed feeding responses. That said, my A.hentzi and L.parahybana and C.versicolor slings have just as aggressive responses as my OW's
Yeah pokies are perfect mix of danger and beauty.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Venom is not everything when it comes to hunting.
No, it's not. Most tarantulas don't need to use their venom very often. Their fangs easily kill whatever comparatively small prey item it's after.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I remember seeing a video of a Lasiodora parahybana taking down a pit viper...That has to be worthy of mention.

tarantulas are indeed formidable, but ants will ravage a tarantula :eek:

Veles

Arachnobaron
I remember seeing a video of a Lasiodora parahybana taking down a pit viper...That has to be worthy of mention.

tarantulas are indeed formidable, but ants will ravage a tarantula :eek:
Yeah i watched that video the snake was fer de lance.

Veles

Arachnobaron
In my opinion, and as many other keepers will say, yes, but as an occasional treat. I personally stick to roaches, crickets, supers and wax worms (for slings) but the yearly feeder house gecko is an easy treat for an adult female pokie or other large arboreal.
Matters which species of gecko we are talking about,given that some of them can pose much greater threat to a tarantula than a small chipmunk.

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
I clearly stated that the Gecko would a feeder House Gecko (H.frenatus). They are far too small to do serious damage to an adult female Pokie or Lampropelma Spp.

Veles

Arachnobaron
I clearly stated that the Gecko would a feeder House Gecko (H.frenatus). They are far too small to do serious damage to an adult female Pokie or Lampropelma Spp.
I know,i am just stating that there are species of gecko that should by no means be fed to a tarantula.

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
I know,i am just stating that there are species of gecko that should by no means be fed to a tarantula.
Most definitely. When feeding a tarantula (or any captive animal really) you should never experiment by throwing in a feeder that is unheard of. A tokay Gecko could theoretically make short work of a Pokie if it took the upper hand. I would neve risk it. It's so stupid that people think they should feed their pet something super out of the ordinary. Tarantulas should have a near staple diet of insects, with some species getting the occasional larger vertebrate feeder.

Veles

Arachnobaron
Most definitely. When feeding a tarantula (or any captive animal really) you should never experiment by throwing in a feeder that is unheard of. A tokay Gecko could theoretically make short work of a Pokie if it took the upper hand. I would neve risk it. It's so stupid that people think they should feed their pet something super out of the ordinary. Tarantulas should have a near staple diet of insects, with some species getting the occasional larger vertebrate feeder.
Tokay geckos can weight up to nearly 700g,also they have super powerful jaws that would make a short work of a tarantula.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Am i the only one that read this and feels like this whole thread is research for some kind of underground Tarantula fighting ring? OP just wants the biggest and baddest T in his corner, like dog fighting but with T's and chipmunks. :troll::rofl: