Most formidable tarantula?

Veles

Arachnobaron
That's funny..

Your not even in the right subforum.. This is Tarantula Q&A... This entire thread belongs in Tarantula chat..
This subforum is named tarantula questions and discussions so i am pretty sure that i put it in the right place.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
The size of a huge spider taking down a mammal doesn't male it more formidable. I had a 2.5" G pulchra tack and take down an adult dubia of nearly the same length, barrel roll and all. I watched an A avic sling about an inch take down a lateralis that was bigger than the sling, no problem.
Feeding a non-feeder animal to a T is stupid. Period. Shows a person a lot of another person's character. What's next, a newborn kitten?

Veles

Arachnobaron
The size of a huge spider taking down a mammal doesn't male it more formidable. I had a 2.5" G pulchra tack and take down an adult dubia of nearly the same length, barrel roll and all. I watched an A avic sling about an inch take down a lateralis that was bigger than the sling, no problem.
Feeding a non-feeder animal to a T is stupid. Period. Shows a person a lot of another person's character. What's next, a newborn kitten?
Off topic again,i am not asking you what you think about my friends,i am asking which tarantula in your opinion is most formidable hunter.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Off topic again,i am not asking you what you think about my friends,i am asking which tarantula in your opinion is most formidable hunter.
And every time somebody makes a suggestion, you argue in favor of Poecilotheria something. Tapinauchenius tend to be faster than any pokie. Actually think i read something that said theyre generally accepted as one of the top 3 fastes genera. Above pokies. The only thing that may make them "lesser" hunters is the typical New World venom, but ive never read a bite report, so it could be strong for a new world for all i know.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
In my humble opinion Poecilotheria ornata is most formidable tarantula,my friend used to have an adult female and i remember it taking some impressive prey,he once feed her an adult chipmunk and she menaged to kill it with small difficulty.
Um, you're the one that volunteered the information. Was it to try and look cool or something? So, since you opened the door. Live with it.

The answer to your question is pretty subjective. I kinda answered it before, maybe I'll go a little further. Yes the largest tarantulas in theory can take the largest prey, but pound for pound, ounce for ounce, gram for gram, they're all pretty equal. For their size, tarantulas don't compare to many true spiders.

Veles

Arachnobaron
And every time somebody makes a suggestion, you argue in favor of Poecilotheria something. Tapinauchenius tend to be faster than any pokie. Actually think i read something that said theyre generally accepted as one of the top 3 fastes genera. Above pokies. The only thing that may make them "lesser" hunters is the typical New World venom, but ive never read a bite report, so it could be strong for a new world for all i know.
I just said in one post that Poecilotheria ornata is a faster and more agile than T.stirmi which is quite true given that former is an arboreal species.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I just said in one post that Poecilotheria ornata is a faster and more agile than T.stirmi which is quite true given that former is an arboreal species.
The "T" in T stirmi isn't for Tapinauchenius. Tappies are also arboreal. Also don't underestimate the speed of many terrestrial tarantulas

Veles

Arachnobaron
The "T" in T stirmi isn't for Tapinauchenius. Tappies are also arboreal. Also don't underestimate the speed of many terrestrial tarantulas
I am not underastimating their speed,but still aboreal species are on average faster and more nimble than terrestrial ones.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I am not underastimating their speed,but still aboreal species are on average faster and more nimble than terrestrial ones.
Tell that to the Pterinochilus murinus, the Ephebopus cyanognathus, and the Hapalopus sp. Colombia large

I could name dozens more

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Wheres your scientific data to back that up?

Also curious if you have either species..

Veles

Arachnobaron
Tell that to the Pterinochilus murinus, the Ephebopus cyanognathus, and the Hapalopus sp. Colombia large

I could name dozens more
I said on average,sure there are terrestrial species that are just as fast and agile as aboreal ones.

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Before anyone says anything about how feeding tarantulas is essentially pitting two animals against each other to the death, the feeders we buy for our T's are (hopefully) purchased with the understanding the spider will have little to no difficulty taking down and eating. A chipmunk was not bred to be a feeder for a spider, unlike roaches, crickets and other universal feeders. If not to mention feeding a tarantula rodents is completely unnecessary, and instead risks your pet's life
So geckos are completely fine then?

Veles

Arachnobaron
Wheres your scientific data to back that up?

Also curious if you have either species..
From terrestrial tarantulas i have:Aphonopelma seemanni,Acanthoscurria Chacoana,Acanthoscurria geniculata,Brachypelma vagans and Grammostola pulchripes.Bu overall i am more into reptiles than inverts.

EmilzHernandez

Arachnosquire
So geckos are completely fine then?
In my opinion, and as many other keepers will say, yes, but as an occasional treat. I personally stick to roaches, crickets, supers and wax worms (for slings) but the yearly feeder house gecko is an easy treat for an adult female pokie or other large arboreal.