Most difficult tarantulas?

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
That are the hardest Tarantulas to take care of and why?
I am curious what is considered to be "experts only" in the tarantula world.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Typhoclaena seladonia, due to rarity, endangered status, delicate constitution and unique husbandry requirements (it builds a trap door nest in lichen on the side of a tree) which takes more effort than most other tarantulas already in the hobby.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Edit: Read it wrong.

My vote goes to Megaphobema mesomales, they require lower temps otherwise it could lead to problems. I’ve heard that females will die easily at higher temps 75+ and males at that temp will become sterile. They’re not hard to care for, just require lower temps.

Last edited:

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
None are considered expert only imo. Some just require different care than others

Last edited:

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
That are the hardest Tarantulas to take care of and why?
I am curious what is considered to be "experts only" in the tarantula world.
Heteroscodra Maculata are not rare but I’ve seen reports of people having a hard time raising them as slings cold blooded has expressed this a few times there definitely an advanced species

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
i think he meant advanced as in a beginner shouldn't get one. but if not, i have read they are prone to humidity issues
The humidity issues is what I was referring to. If your a beginner the humidity will be more of a problem then the t itself as a sling I’ve been lucky with my slings so far with humidity I live in a dry area and only add water them once a week and they seem to be eating well and doing fine I definitely wouldn’t recommend as a beginner I would get psalmopeous species before I owned an old world like this one

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
The humidity issues is what I was referring to. If your a beginner the humidity will be more of a problem then the t itself as a sling I’ve been lucky with my slings so far with humidity I live in a dry area and only add water them once a week and they seem to be eating well and doing fine I definitely wouldn’t recommend as a beginner I would get psalmopeous species before I owned an old world like this one
i know, i realized that while i was typing which was then too late lol so i just put a period

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
i know, i realized that while i was typing which was then too late lol so i just put a period
I noticed people also have issues with versicolor when they add to much humidity and get stagnant air in the enclosure

Glorious Baboon

Arachnosquire
yea cus they read care sheets and get the misconception that they need humidity
Yeah most care sheets are really outdated and misleading I keep all my enclosure on the dry side I don’t own any species that require moisture don’t wanna have to deal with predatory mites plus I never got into keeping avics even though there a gorgeous genus

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
Brazillian wandering spider.

Strictly cause this thing is massive. Extremely fast. Packs a serious punch with venom. Fangs are huge. Oh and did i mention this thing will chase you down!!.

Im not even sure if its in standerd hobbyists collections but the one at our zoo is demonically insaine.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Typhoclaena seladonia, due to rarity, endangered status, delicate constitution and unique husbandry requirements (it builds a trap door nest in lichen on the side of a tree) which takes more effort than most other tarantulas already in the hobby.
I disagree with the T. seladonia, IMO they are not hard to care for, but it is the information on how to care for them properly that is the problem. This is nothing new, any newly introduced T. to the the hobby has this problem at first, then later on the care becomes more easy, since the care and information starts to become more accurate as time goes by. The P. metallica was like that, and so was every other T. So I really wouldn't say T. seladonia.

BenWilly

Tarantula Hillbilly
My opinion , it would be some of the tapinauchenius , just because of their teleportation skills lol . Fast little buggers !

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
Yeah most care sheets are really outdated and misleading I keep all my enclosure on the dry side I don’t own any species that require moisture don’t wanna have to deal with predatory mites plus I never got into keeping avics even though there a gorgeous genus
oh i know what i meant earlier in our discussion, (i had just woken up and was a bit out of it so sorry lol) but the op said "hardest to care for" as in husbandry requirements, etc. and i was saying that cold blood was saying that h.macs were an advanced species due to their of their speed/venom. not just their difficult husbandry requirements

Last edited:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cyriocosmus elegans slings. They are very challenging to deal with because they are so small.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Lampropelma. Rehousing subadult when they're burrowed 6" down is almost down to luck sometimes lol. I will say I've had more die of this genus than any other. And not just slings. But fat healthy subadults. I believe the same is true for other Asian arboreals. I think we're missing something in their husbandry or they just like to die. @grayzone Have you had any similar experiences with the genus? I know you're quite big on all things Asian and arboreal.

Heteroscodra. Stromatopelma. Cyriopagopus. Phormingochilus. Pretty much all Ornithoctoninae honestly. Bad venom, and worse attitudes all of them. Some very large and arboreal.

Some genera would likely never even survive in captivity. Particularly the high altitude genus Hapalotremus. Which is a shame as some species are gorgeous. Check out the recent paper for pics of them. Done in part by @birdspidersCH

Phrixotrichus vulpinus seems to die very easily. Virtually none in the hobby and no ones managed to produce them despite multiple imports.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lampropelma. Rehousing subadult when they're burrowed 6" down is almost down to luck sometimes lol. I will say I've had more die of this genus than any other. And not just slings. But fat healthy subadults. I believe the same is true for other Asian arboreals. I think we're missing something in their husbandry or they just like to die. @grayzone Have you had any similar experiences with the genus? I know you're quite big on all things Asian and arboreal.
Not really, at least regarding Lampropelma. Ive only ever had one violaceopes die on me and it was a juvie that arrived half dead from shipping. I believe it was from paul back when he had petcenter (he ended up sending a replacement) before things went south for him.

I have lost a few other asian species to unknown causes which im assuming were non related to husbandry because i keep everything the same and some siblings thrive while others perish