1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most "deadly" scorpion

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by tryme, Dec 19, 2008.

1. tryme

tryme Arachnobaron

Advertisement
    I'm sure this has been asked 100X just wondering is there a deffinative answer? I've read soo many different stories, although I heard death stalker was near the top?

2. Atreyuhero4

Atreyuhero4 Arachnobaron

a death stalker pacts the most venom but the yellow fat tail kills the most humans because they come into to contact with people more often

3. Rick McJimsey

Rick McJimsey Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

If I recall correctly, Odontobuthus doriae has the highest (or lowest, whatever.) LD50 with 0.19 mg.kg.
    In lamens terms, the most potent venom.

4. Atreyuhero4

Atreyuhero4 Arachnobaron

The lethal dose for the Deathstalker Scorpion is 0.16 mg/kg

5. Rick McJimsey

LD50 values greatly differ, especialy in the way the venom is injected, and the size of the victim.
    What are your scources?

6. Atreyuhero4

Atreyuhero4 Arachnobaron

7. Rick McJimsey

You must take into consideration that there are several LD50 values for that species, and that happens to be the lowest value, bot neccessarily the average. Even so, it is one of the most toxic species.

8. Aztek

Aztek Arachnoprince

Leiurus is supposedly the most toxic.
    But it doesn't matter.

Any scorpion with highly potent venom can be dangerous, and it's not always the same amount of venom injected, and where it stings on the body has a lot to do with the complications as well.

Someone might do better getting stung by a deathstalker in one way then getting stung by a Centruroides Noxius in another way.

If the scorpion is hot, take care, doesn't matter who's hotter.

Also, the LD tests have nothing to do with humans.

9. Atreyuhero4

Atreyuhero4 Arachnobaron

if the LD test did have to do with humans then they would have to kill humans and thats kind of illegal but they do test it on a wide variety of animals

10. tryme

tryme Arachnobaron

Wow what a great range of information :)

11. JTC5150

JTC5150 Arachnoknight Old Timer

IL
    :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

12. Atreyuhero4

Atreyuhero4 Arachnobaron

13. tryme

tryme Arachnobaron

That also made me laugh.

14. JTC5150

JTC5150 Arachnoknight Old Timer

IL
    Killing people is kind of frowned on here too!!!! Unless you throw a Scorp at them then its alright.

15. dangriga

dangriga Arachnosquire

I would say Hemiscorpius lepturus, because it can cause serious wounds and inflammations!

16. pandinus

pandinus Arachnoking Old Timer

even leiurus (the supposedly most potent scorpion, certainly the highest LD50 value) stings can be very dangerous but according to medical literature from their native region, only 10% of stings even require medical treatment or have serious systemic effects. i'm not saying they dont command a great deal of respect at all. but even though the toxicity of the venom is much stronger than that of most any snake venom, most scorpions cant inject a heck of a lot comparatively. i would like my chances of getting stung by a scorpion a lot better than i would getting bit by a snake.

John

17. pandinus

18. tabor

tabor Arachnoprince Old Timer

HANDLE ALL OF THEM ITS THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW!!!

{D

having held both of the "deadliest" species (and from stories from people who were stationed in the Middle East) it is easily, in my book, A. australis. LQ may have more venom, but A. a.'s have tendency to run into humans more for whatever reason.

19. pandinus

but to be sure wouldnt you have to be stung by both? ;)

20. Quixtar

Quixtar Arachnobaron Old Timer

Hemiscorpius lepturus has the highest mortality rate associated with it.