Most aggressive/defensive in my collection

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Out of all the Ts I have, my Psalmopoeus Irminia is by far the most DEFENSIVE so far.

My OWs (H. Pulchripes, M. Balfouri)haven’t done anything but go back to their hides.

The NWs (B. Albo, B. Sabulosum, Avics sp., D. Diamantinensis) haven’t done anything at all (don’t expect them too). However I’d say the D. Diamantinensis is probably the fastest out of everyone so far...at least shown its speed...

Just something interesting. Obviously every individual T no matter what the species is will be “different.”

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What behaviour is being exhibited that you are classifying as "aggressive?"

docwade87

Arachnoknight
What behaviour is being exhibited that you are classifying as "aggressive?"
Literally stood their ground and then when paint brush used to try and coax, guide T into enclosure they spin around fast and lunge at brush. OWs were cooperative and rather sissy like.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
OBT holds there ground IME. S. calcaetum are the same, but arboreal and very skittish. Pokies can sometimes be aggressive.

I don't know what to say about aggressiveness, but I've had threat postures here and there. I can't say what is my number one spot, but what I can say is that aggressive T.'s always want to be left alone without disturbance.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
To me, aggressive behavior means that they actually come after you...out of their enclosure to attack. Defensive means that they hold their ground in their enclosure. You're intruding on their burrow.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
To me, aggressive behavior means that they actually come after you...out of their enclosure to attack. Defensive means that they hold their ground in their enclosure. You're intruding on their burrow.
I can agree. However have seen it referenced both ways. This little one was definitely attacking/bluffing at the brush, I’d say that is aggressive...Either way, as I had anticipated, my P. Irminia takes the trophy so far even over my OWs

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
I can agree. However have seen it referenced both ways. This little one was definitely attacking/bluffing at the brush, I’d say that is aggressive...Either way, as I had anticipated, my P. Irminia takes the trophy so far even over my OWs
Who attacked first the brush or the spider?
My guess is the brush started it.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
Who attacked first the brush or the spider?
My guess is the brush started it.
Haha this is true!

Again not mad at T or think somethings wrong. They are defending themselves from me. Just saying it as an observation.i expected the Psalmopoeus to be more defensive than any of the ones I keep. However expected the OWs to have a little bit of a ‘tude and they’ve had none. That’s all I was saying. Relax people!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Out of all the Ts I have, my Psalmopoeus Irminia is by far the most “aggressive” so far.

My OWs (H. Pulchripes, M. Balfouri)haven’t done anything but go back to their hides.

The NWs (B. Albo, B. Sabulosum, Avics sp., D. Diamantinensis) haven’t done anything at all (don’t expect them too). However I’d say the D. Diamantinensis is probably the fastest out of everyone so far...at least shown its speed...

Just something interesting. Obviously every individual T no matter what the species is will be “different.”
Doc my man I like you but please mark old good Chris words (of wisdom) so remember that a species name is never capitalized :pompous:

Example: B.albopilosum, not B.Albopilosum.

:kiss:

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Haha this is true!

Again not mad at T or think somethings wrong. They are defending themselves from me. Just saying it as an observation.i expected the Psalmopoeus to be more defensive than any of the ones I keep. However expected the OWs to have a little bit of a ‘tude and they’ve had none. That’s all I was saying. Relax people!
I totally get it, just making a joke :pompous:
I guess it depends on the specimen, I only had one threat posture and that was from a Brachypelma boehmei (R.I.P)

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Literally stood their ground and then when paint brush used to try and coax, guide T into enclosure they spin around fast and lunge at brush. OWs were cooperative and rather sissy like.
Soooo you poke at your T with a paint brush and the T is the aggressive one? :rofl: I undrrstand needing to coax them to move... but they are displaying DEFENSIVE behaviour.

This.

This little one was definitely attacking/bluffing at the brush, I’d say that is aggressive...
No. A random object was thrust into the spider's little world, and also touched it... for all the spider knows, it could be a predator. So the spider DEFENDS itself against this potential threat.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
I totally get it, just making a joke :pompous:
I guess it depends on the specimen, I only had one threat posture and that was from a Brachypelma boehmei (R.I.P)

Exactly. I said the same thing in OP! Cheers!!

Soooo you poke at your T with a paint brush and the T is the aggressive one? :rofl: I undrrstand needing to coax them to move... but they are displaying DEFENSIVE behaviour.

This.

No. A random object was thrust into the spider's little world, and also touched it... for all the spider knows, it could be a predator. So the spider DEFENDS itself against this potential threat.
Lol no kidding. As I’ve said and agreed with all of this prior to your post. Just was making simple observations.

Doc my man I like you but please mark old good Chris words (of wisdom) so remember that a species name is never capitalized :pompous:

Example: B.albopilosum, not B.Albopilosum.

:kiss:
What? And why? And yea! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What? And why? And yea! Lol
I like your style, your signature, and since I was trained by the (Italian) Fire Dep. I tend to be 'naturally' friend with others that shared/share the same :)

This.

ih ih :playful: :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
In my dictionary, an aggressive tarantula is the one breaks free from it’s enclosure at night, with eight legs by force, then without any hesitations, it climbs your bed just to find your wide open neck and bites you for no reason. :angelic:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nowdays my collection is not huge. My most defenssive spider is one of my P murinus, probably my subadult male! When i had ma huge collection i think my most defenssive tarantula was a female Phormictopus cancerides. That spider striked against the glass of the terrarium sometimes if i walked by its cage! And when i fed and did maintanance it always was in threat mode! I had some nasty Pterinochilus too and an A seemanni that was very defenssive!

cold blood

Staff member
5. C. darlingi....usually not bad, but can get quite moody.

4. N. tripeppii....others dont seem as defensive as mine....i have 3 young adults that are all super defensive, flicky and quick with a threat posture.

3. OBT, more specifically, MM OBTs....females are defensive when bothered....MMs are defensive when they are alive pretty much.

2. P. irminia. They often like to hide first, but not always. Both my females have held threat postures for 30 minutes...when theyre defensive, they can be relentlessly defensive...
1. P. cancerides. Often compared to Pamphs (rightfully so), but theres one stark difference....Phormics are very quick to anger, more than willing to hold their ground and quick to not just posture, but repeatedly slap the ground in a magnificent defensive display. IME no t makes it clearer they want to be left alone than a Phormic....Ive never got a posture pic, theyre just way too active about it, not the best time to be preoccupied with a pic. Great species though, I just love them.....

in fact im quite fond if all 5 on my list.

docwade87

Arachnoknight
5. C. darlingi....usually not bad, but can get quite moody.

4. N. tripeppii....others dont seem as defensive as mine....i have 3 young adults that are all super defensive, flicky and quick with a threat posture.

3. OBT, more specifically, MM OBTs....females are defensive when bothered....MMs are defensive when they are alive pretty much.

2. P. irminia. They often like to hide first, but not always. Both my females have held threat postures for 30 minutes...when theyre defensive, they can be relentlessly defensive...
1. P. cancerides. Often compared to Pamphs (rightfully so), but theres one stark difference....Phormics are very quick to anger, more than willing to hold their ground and quick to not just posture, but repeatedly slap the ground in a magnificent defensive display. IME no t makes it clearer they want to be left alone than a Phormic....Ive never got a posture pic, theyre just way too active about it, not the best time to be preoccupied with a pic. Great species though, I just love them.....

in fact im quite fond if all 5 on my list.

Spectacular! Thank you for getting/understanding my post!!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Idk about H. pulchripes but M. balfouri are meant to be more skittish than defensive.

My irminia is pretty chill, she only gets defensive when backed into a corner.

The Asian species I keep are by far the most defensive in my collection (yeah, even more so than my broken B. hamorii), my L. nigerrimum female would start slapping if I moved her enclosure, my O. aureotibialis will come charging out of her burrow (sometimes running straight past the feeder I just dropped in) to show her disdain for my existence. Chilobrachys kept in GBB-style setups tend to be much more defensive than those kept in fossorial setups.

L. nigerrimum threat.jpg
View media item 58010
On the NW side of things, my B. hamorii just hates everything that isn't food, I've also had occasional threat postures from my albiceps, emilia, and vagans.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
E.pachypus wins here.
She'll be sitting sweet with her back legs and abdomen plugging the burrow like she's supposed to, but when I move her enclosure she'll turn around, and when I open it she'll actually come after me. Not the brush, me. So my tactic so far is to move the enclosure quickly, open it quickly and throw the feeder on her head as soon as she's turned around. Works like a charm. :rofl:

C.sanderi although now it is getting bigger it apparently feels less need to establish the dominant beast between the two of us :smug:

Honourable mentions to my P.muticus, when disturbed by cricket or water or me she'll throw up an impressive show, stridulating and slapping. She's only 10 cm DLS but I can hear her stridulation from the other side of the room. Good girl :smug:

spookyvibes

Arachnobaron
My most defensive is probably my P. cancerides. (S)he is around the 2” mark and gives me some of the most melodramatic threat postures if I so much as breathe in the same room as him/her. Such a gorgeous tarantula though, so I can’t complain.

I thought that award would go to my P. cambridgei, but I’ve noticed little to no defensive behavior from her. She is extremely fast though, definitely a good prep for OW speed I’m sure.