Most active Ts?

Darth Molt

Arachnosquire
i want to get a second T soon my a seemanni spends all of its time in its borrow it doesn’t dig or do much I know that’s pretty much what Ts do but I want to watch a T dig or moves moss around or even puts dirt in its water bowl lol! Any ideas of a active T that likes to rearrange its enclosure? Thanks.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I find Phormictopus to be quite active. However, when younger they tend to be on the more shy side, but with size they become more and more bold. Just note that they have more of an 'attitude' than a lot of other NWs, but I find that if you give them a proper enclosure of an appropriate size and a hide they're more likely to wander into the hide or to another part of the enclosure instead of throwing a threat pose.

Bailz

Arachnopeon
The two L. parahybana i've owned, have been the most active species for me. If active means slowly striding around the enclosure until it's time to sit still for a while.

Currently have a 3cm sling that decides to reposition it's small water dish at every given opportunity.

Zachary Bissinger

Arachnopeon
I have a grammostola actaeon and it's pretty active. It's constantly moving dirt around and making the place more homey. And I have a Chilobrachys Sp. Electric Blue and it's my second most active until recently (think it is in premolt). It's constantly working on its dirt tunnel.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
A.calcodes.G.pulchra….about as " active" as your going to get,i suppose.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
My most active would be A. Geniculata and Psalmopoeus Cambridgei. I would probably wait for the p cam. A genic cannot be beat. You must own one at some point.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My E sp Reds are always active generally, until they take a break. Honestly, to me, no T is significantly more active than a stone that would cause me to buy it due to such a behavior.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
If by active you mean moving around the enclosure, actively pursuing prey, etc., I have to second what @jrh3 posted. My GBB is the most active as far as almost constantly moving about. I will add to that statement that my N. chromatus is just as active. The A. geniculata was mentioned above. However, although ALWAYS out, mine just sits and waits for the next meal, not a whole lot of activity generally, but when that meal comes, THEN you’ll see activity plus.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P murimus is pretty active, but they are no beginner speicies, Gbb is kind of active, spinning a lot of silk, so i vote that you get one iof those!

I find Phormictopus to be quite active. However, when younger they tend to be on the more shy side, but with size they become more and more bold. Just note that they have more of an 'attitude' than a lot of other NWs, but I find that if you give them a proper enclosure of an appropriate size and a hide they're more likely to wander into the hide or to another part of the enclosure instead of throwing a threat pose.
Lovely genus! My favourite actually! Yes they hav attitude, but i guess they can be kept by a beginner!? If they keep their fingers away.

Last edited by a moderator:

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Lovely genus! My favourite actually! Yes they hav attitude, but i guess they can be kept by a beginner!? If they keep their fingers away.
A cancerides was one of my first tarantulas, if you get one as a sling you’ll ‘grow into them’. I feel like their reputation is over hyped, if kept correctly they aren’t all bad as people make them out to be. A lot of the videos on YouTube of them acting very defensively is because they’re being kept in a small enclosure.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Absolutely true! Thats ONE reason why to give tarantulas a deep substrate and a secure retreat! Even the most defenssive tarantula are more likely to run into the burrow or retreat when desturbed!

I have kept lots of Phormics, diffrent sizes and diffrent speicies. Sure, they have generally more attitude and are more defenssive in behaviour than most NW that i have kept (if i dont count in a totaly psycotic A seemanni) but most are merly territorial and defend their burrow and such! But if given large enough terrarium, deep sub and a nice retreat thay as i said retreats instead! (But some if my Phormictopus was often sitting out in the open even if it had a nice burrow. They often reacted defenssivly when disturbed, but that was not that bad, i jyst hold some protective shield, like a ruler between me and the spider.) This is true for all tarantulas! If Haplopelmas are kept on deep sub and digs a burrow they are usally very easy to deal with cos they retreats, and one can intrude in their terrarium without harm! If the same tarantula is kept without any possibility to dig a burrow, of course it gonna be defensive!

Last edited by a moderator:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
G. pulchras are active little bulldozers. Plus they look like eight-legged puppies. :D

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
None of them are really that active. Sure Chromatopelma, and other webbing species, are pretty active in making their web palaces. Once they're completed they don't do much else than sit there... at least my two females don't. My Aphonopelma chalcodes, Homoeomma chilensis and Grammostola pulchra are three of my most active species and are constantly digging around, filling their water dishes, and rearranging stuff. My Acanthoscurria geniculata is visible all the time, like a lot of the species I keep, but she just sits there and doesn't do anything. I wouldn't consider being visible 'active'.
Some of mine are reactive when I disturb them, but I wouldn't consider that the same as being 'active' either.

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
I second Chromatopelma! G. pulchra and my N. chromatus would have to be my two most active species at the moment. :D

Clareesi

Arachnopeon
I always enjoy the heavy webber's. Even if you dont catch them actively webbing, they definitely leave evidence behind. So my C. cyaneopubescens is usually visible but has webbed like crazy. My m. balfouri is really only out in the evening and night but is also a crazy heavy webber. Her web is absolutely fantastic, lots of cool tunnels but shes also very skittish so when she is out she tends to hide again quickly.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
i want to get a second T soon my a seemanni spends all of its time in its borrow it doesn’t dig or do much I know that’s pretty much what Ts do but I want to watch a T dig or moves moss around or even puts dirt in its water bowl lol! Any ideas of a active T that likes to rearrange its enclosure? Thanks.
"Active" is a relative thing -- most tarantulas spend most of their time not doing much.

That being said, this is Bulldozer, my Grammostola pulchra. She is regularly moving dirt and rearranging anything she can move.