Moss, Plants, Wood, Stones

arachnobay

Arachnopeon
May i know your ideas about these items, would you prefer live or dried moss, live or plastic plants, real wood or resin-made hides, gravel or pebbles Thanks

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Depends all on the tank and speicies! Moss and live plants does best in reptile or frog tanks, with some exeotions. Plants from genus Epipremnum does great in moist tarantula enclosures! Roots and wood is great! You can use driftwood or woods from forrest, but some wood rots easily or mould! Pebbles and stones is good if one have them scatterd on a deep "burrowable" substrate. If one place stones in a smart way it is absolutky a possibility! Especially for certain small tarantula speicies that are from rocky areas I once, for sevral years had a communal set up of X number of Heterothele villosella. I had them in a tank whitch i designed with a pile of rocks that they webbed up and lived inside!
On the other hand, having a tank with stones and a large heavy bodied T stirmi isnt the brightest idea! Or big stones in a tank with a tarantula that digs! So it all depends on what speicies and how the tank is designed!

arachnobay

Arachnopeon
Depends all on the tank and speicies! Moss and live plants does best in reptile or frog tanks, with some exeotions. Plants from genus Epipremnum does great in moist tarantula enclosures! Roots and wood is great! You can use driftwood or woods from forrest, but some wood rots easily or mould! Pebbles and stones is good if one have them scatterd on a deep "burrowable" substrate. If one place stones in a smart way for (certain small tarantula speicies that are from rocky areas) they are exelkent! I once, for sevral years had a communal set up of X number of Heterothele villosella. I had them in a tank whitchvi designed with a pile of rocks that they lived inside!
On the other hand, having a tank with stones and a large T stirmi isnt the brightest idea! Or big stones in a tank with a tarantula that digs! So it all depends on what speicies and how the tank is designed!
I have a bunch of woods in my yard can you tell me what i can do to them? Lol. But the problem is idk how to upload it here lol. Maybe in ig or whatever social media platform

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As long as there are no pesticides on them, you can use whatever you want

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
One last question brother, what cleaning agents can i used for wild woods and etc?
It’s generally not necessary but if you really want to, you can bake it for like 45 min or an hour at about 250F.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One last question brother, what cleaning agents can i used for wild woods and etc?
Like Etienne said you can bake it if you want but it is not necessary, and sterilized stuff is not recommend in terrarium just because microorganisms from soil and wood helps to battle mold and other things that may enter the tank! NEVER use cleaning agents!
I just brush of wood and put it in the tank. I often collected wood from nature and even have dug up soil from outside and used in my terrariums and i have never baked anything! I just maked sure i took the stuff in the forrest so the risk of pesticides where slim

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
It’s generally not necessary but if you really want to, you can bake it for like 45 min or an hour at about 250F.
DO NOT bake stones! They can have small inclusions of water and may literally explode when you bake them. If you want to use stones just wash them thoroughly with water. I rarely use stones as they can pose health risks to your spider, e.g. when the T falls onto them or when the T burrows underneath and the burrow collapses.

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
Just bear in mind that many locally collected wood types will mold easily in high humidity baked, boiled or not.