Morio worm has burrowed - eaten?

Stephlet

Arachnopeon
Hello, I have just put in a morio worm for my centipede which is currently buried under its substrate. The morio worm has also buried itself in the substrate as well. How will I know if it has been eaten or not? Should I have waited until the centipede came to the surface and then offered one? Should I sift through the substrate and retrieve the worm?

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yes. You should have waited until your pede was actually visible. Then you can actually watch your pede actually take the worm. You can also crush the worms head and offer it to your pede.

You need to get the morio worm out.

How long as your pede been buried? As in is it in premoult?

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
As a rule, live feeders should never be left with any pet. I suggest you search for the worm carefully.
Morio worms can eat centipedes whether molting or not so I only feed morios when my 'pedes are active and always crush the worms' mandibles. Prekilled works for leaving them in the enclosure, 'pedes don't mind scavenging.

Stephlet

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your replies. I have managed to retrieve the Morio worm with no problem and will follow your advice from now on.

How do I know if it is in premoult? It has been buried for the last 3 days. I don't know if it has come out during the night when I've been sleeping.

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
Thank you for your replies. I have managed to retrieve the Morio worm with no problem and will follow your advice from now on.

How do I know if it is in premoult? It has been buried for the last 3 days. I don't know if it has come out during the night when I've been sleeping.
Centipedes in premolt have a dull yellow cast to their whole body. This may be hard to see if the 'pede is buried. 3 days worth of burrowing is not unusual so I don't suspect it is. @basin79 probably was asking because centipedes cannot fight back after a molt and feeders and isopods often kill centipedes at that time.