Old Timer
How to keep insurance agents from bothering you

Can you stand on your tail?

Yawn

What are we?

Look closely

Home is where you wear your hat.

Cleaning the pens. Anyone want his job?

Dude, that is not how I learned to take ticks off. (The no tube method)

Last edited:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You have NO idea how much I've come to look forward to your pictures!

But, hey-you're not the only one who'se used snakes to get rid of insurance salesmen, door-to-door Jehovah's Witnesses, security system salesmen, and Halloween trick-or-treaters-works for me, too!

pitbulllady

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
pitbulllady said:
You have NO idea how much I've come to look forward to your pictures!

But, hey-you're not the only one who'se used snakes to get rid of insurance salesmen, door-to-door Jehovah's Witnesses, security system salesmen, and Halloween trick-or-treaters-works for me, too!

pitbulllady
{D {D {D {D {D {D

What is really nice is if someone comes up to your house and accidentally gets nailed, shredded or maimed, it is hopeless to try suing here. The prevalent attitude from beat police officer to the highest court is, 'you shouldn't have gone there'. :embarrassed:

The ultra best I have yet seen here is a elderly man who keeps an even more elderly kwai (water buffalo). When anyone approachs his house, the kwai wants to get chummy. In fact, it acts like an overly friendly puppy. Now just picture in your mind, a 1,500 pound overly friendly puppy, covered in poo and reeking worse than a pig. (He will try to knock you down and get in your lap.)

Last edited:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Snark said:
{D {D {D {D {D {D

What is really nice is if someone comes up to your house and accidentally gets nailed, shredded or maimed, it is hopeless to try suing here. The prevalent attitude from beat police officer to the highest court is, 'you shouldn't have gone there'. :embarrassed:

The ultra best I have yet seen here is a elderly man who keeps an even more elderly kwai (water buffalo). When anyone approachs his house, the kwai wants to get chummy. In fact, it acts like an overly friendly puppy. Now just picture in your mind, a 1,500 pound overly friendly puppy, covered in poo and reeking worse than a pig. (He will try to knock you down and get in your lap.)
I've had cows that try to do that! They were bottle-fed as babies, and when fully-grown, think that they are STILL little babies. I've heard of horses that are the same way. It's bad enough when one of my 100-pound Catahoula Leopard Dogs tries to get in my lap, or just steps on my foot, so a Water Buffalo would be really, really bad!

pitbulllady

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Man you are so lucky!!! I wish I could call such an area with nice wildlife home!!!!

The Snark

Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Very nice pix!

This one looks like a kaouthia:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/thaiexodus/DSCF2508.jpg

Others look like colubrids such as this:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/thaiexodus/DSCF2496.jpg

Where in Thailand are this place?

/Lelle
The one you picked out is about a 6 year old Mono who has lost nearly all markings.
The striped guy with that nifty eye decoration we don't know as our snake ID book is on loan to a school. Very possibly he is a colubrid, maybe a close relative of the bamboo ratter (http://www.vpi.com/5vpibreeders/ThaiBambooRatsnake/ThaiBambooRatsnake.htm) . Aren't most of our rat snakes colubrids? (I confess to not know Thai colubrids for beans.) To the right of the striped guy you can see a typical example of an adolescent mono.
The 'What are we'. The first is about a 10 month old monocellate. He still has the dark stripes at the edge of the jaw scales and only slight lightening coloration of those scales.
The second, the 6 year old, you can still faintly see the black at the edge of some of the jaw scales. The third, about to shed, is over a year old. The jaw scales have begun to grow lighter and the black edges are fading. The last one has reached full mature coloration, probably around 1 1/2 years old.

The snake farm is outside of Mae Rim which is about 20km north of Chiang Mai which is 750km north of Bangkok.

Last edited:

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The stripey-looking Rat Snake is an Elaphe radiata, or Radiated Rat Snake. Those are very common in the pet trade here in the US, and even the albino specimens are becoming common enough to be affordable. The others behind him look like Ptyas korros. Those are also called "Rat Snakes", but are completely unrelated to those Rat Snakes in the genus Elaphe(or to some, Pantherophis in North America)and behave much more like the snakes in the Drymarchon/Masticophis group, the Cribos and Coachwhips. I had a large male Ptyas carinata once, a dead-ringer for a King Cobra, and he was quite a handful!

pitbulllady

The Snark

Old Timer
pitbulllady said:
The stripey-looking Rat Snake is an Elaphe radiata, or Radiated Rat Snake. Those are very common in the pet trade here in the US, and even the albino specimens are becoming common enough to be affordable. The others behind him look like Ptyas korros. Those are also called "Rat Snakes", but are completely unrelated to those Rat Snakes in the genus Elaphe(or to some, Pantherophis in North America)and behave much more like the snakes in the Drymarchon/Masticophis group, the Cribos and Coachwhips. I had a large male Ptyas carinata once, a dead-ringer for a King Cobra, and he was quite a handful!

pitbulllady
So the guy in the foreground here is Pytas Korros, yes?

Last edited:

The Snark

Old Timer
This little guy came down for a drink. Another ratter. They are called Ngoo Dtah Yi (big eye snake). What is he?

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Coelognathus radiatus is the latest name for Elaphe radiata.
All ratsnakes are colubrids (belong to Colubridae)

So the guy in the foreground here is Pytas Korros, yes?
Atleast it looks like a Ptyas sp.

This little guy came down for a drink. Another ratter. They are called Ngoo Dtah Yi (big eye snake). What is he?
No idea. Theres so many snake species in Thailand (119?) and many are seldom photographed :)

Do you go out and try finding any wild snakes there?

The Snark

Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Do you go out and try finding any wild snakes there?
As in catch snakes? Very rarely. I'll rescue them if opportunity premits, and occasionally someone will take me up on my bounty offered instead of tossing him in the stew, but those I release.
I've found a few places where I can nearly always spot a snake or two each day at certain times of the year. I'm not much into the serious hunting though. And to top it off, if I do spot one, I'd much rather just watch it.
Once while waiting for wife and friends I sat on the top of the jeep with binoculars. The area below me was a burned off banana plantation. I spotted a very good sized krait. He methodically worked his way across the open area, poking his way into each hole that he came across. I'd wait and think he had found a place to sleep when up he popped again and moved on to the next hole. That was a lot more fun than a capture.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those are also called "Rat Snakes", but are completely unrelated to those Rat Snakes in the genus Elaphe(or to some, Pantherophis in North America)and behave much more like the snakes in the Drymarchon/Masticophis group, the Cribos and Coachwhips.
Radiated Ratsnakes are in the genus Elaphe....Elaphe radiata. ;) I'd liken them more to a Racer than a Cribo or Indigo.

The Snark

Old Timer
Crotalus said:
No I meant just to photograph them in their natural habitat.
I want a quarter for every picture perfect wild animal shot I've seen when I didn't have a camera. Murphy's law fits in here as well. I only got a decent camera 2 months ago. I will take the camera with me for every trip outside the house even if just to the corner store. Then let me forget the camera just once and I'll probably spot a dancing hippo.:wall:

I'm planning a trip to cobra central soon. I'm taking along not one but two friends who have ultra snakeaphobia. That should help surround us in slither.

Every now and then I happen to get lucky though...

Last edited:

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
The Snark said:
Every now and then I happen to get lucky though...
you are crazy!!! do you handle that thing?!?! by the looks of its killer face, i'd say its quite deadly :}

awesome pics again! be sure to bring your camera when you go to see all the cobras..and maybe you'll catch some good pics of the snakeaphobes :D

The Snark

Old Timer
xgrafcorex said:
you are crazy!!! do you handle that thing?!?! by the looks of its killer face, i'd say its quite deadly :}

awesome pics again! be sure to bring your camera when you go to see all the cobras..and maybe you'll catch some good pics of the snakeaphobes :D
Good point! A nice freak out makes better photography subject than a fleeing snake shaped blur.
With the dog and motorcycle, dogs ride bikes a lot around here. The owner of that dog made a mistake. Once the dog got used to sitting there, he took up residence. He will sit on the bike all day and even sleeps on it sometime just to make sure he doesn't miss a ride.