More mongrels on the way

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Now if the offspring happen to look like either parent and are sold the shit would really hit the fan.
I am not sure about arachnids, but I know a bit about mammal hybridization. Between 12.5-25% will look like the female parent, 12.5-25% will look like the male parent - with the balance looking like a combination of both parents, but to varying degrees. You don't get 100% of the offspring looking identical and resembling a combination of both parents equally, making the hybrid obvious.
That is why they do the damage that they do - even experienced people get duped into breeding hybrids because it is not obvious that is what they have.
The people who are doing this have absolutely no idea of what they are doing and don't even have the very basic knowledge about genetics or hybridization. The problem is... they don't care either. They just don't care. This is a game to them and they will tell you that those spiders are their property and they will do whatever they want with them. It's not like we don't hear that all the time in this hobby. They're right - we can't stop them and they have no concept of the consequences and don't give a lick about them.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
This is disgusting. What an idiot. Yeah hopefully there is no sac, but you know this idiot will pass them off as a single species. We've been in debates even on this board. There are idiots that post here that think hybrids aren't a big deal. They talk about tarantulas the same way they talk about dogs. To justify the cross breeding of anything is a mistake at best. Dogs and cats can be spayed or neutered. Tarantulas, fish and such, there is no control. Stuff just gets watered down and you eventually lose what you started with.
If this pairing is successful, nothing good will come of it. Knowing there is a group on this board who will defend this, it is small compared to other groups who would defend and embrace it on Facebook.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Nothing grinds my gears more than person who says " I am allowed to experiment, I will obviously not sell the slings". So yeah, you will look after a Brachy-load? NO. You will maybe keep a few and sell the rest or kill them.

Either way it isn't right. When people try to justify it, it drives me crazy.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
He might sell them online or to a pet shop and it won't end there. Plenty of people breed pet shop tarantulas and those who they have bought online. An adult female can go through many homes before landing in the one who breeds her and nobody knows anything about her background. Males are the same, to a lesser extent because they go through less people before they mature. I see mature males for sale online all the time specifically for breeding. Add to that those who buy and breed them have little to no experience and you have hybrids circulating all over the place.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
This is disgusting. What an idiot. Yeah hopefully there is no sac, but you know this idiot will pass them off as a single species. We've been in debates even on this board. There are idiots that post here that think hybrids aren't a big deal. They talk about tarantulas the same way they talk about dogs. To justify the cross breeding of anything is a mistake at best. Dogs and cats can be spayed or neutered. Tarantulas, fish and such, there is no control. Stuff just gets watered down and you eventually lose what you started with.
If this pairing is successful, nothing good will come of it. Knowing there is a group on this board who will defend this, it is small compared to other groups who would defend and embrace it on Facebook.
:) was obviously a joke, thus the troll guy. Lmao I've seen enough posts about hybrids to know where this one was headed thought I would lighten the mood. I heard that guy making the vid smuggled the Emilia and smithi AND uses heat mats!!!! (Insert troll) ;)

Jeff23

Arachnolord
The problem is that we are trying to control the breeding of tarantulas when we should have first looked at controlling the breeding of some of our own human species. Of course I mean this not based on race or religion, but instead based on faulty intellect.

Just look at the path of everything else in the world and you can see that greed and a need for attention continues the spiral downward. There were once thousands of types of apples and now our chain stores of the world present us with less than ten.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
This is also one of the reasons why our cb stock is considered irrelevant in regards to possible repopulation of endangered species, as well as some scientific studies that could possibly help all of us in our hobby

Walker253

Arachnobaron
:) was obviously a joke, thus the troll guy. Lmao I've seen enough posts about hybrids to know where this one was headed thought I would lighten the mood. I heard that guy making the vid smuggled the Emilia and smithi AND uses heat mats!!!! (Insert troll) ;)
Lol, I'm the troll? What an idiot. Frankly, I never even noticed your post. My points were compiled from previous discussions here and elsewhere. Your post had nothing to back up a serious point, thus I moved right past. Lol, I had to go back and look to see what you were even talking about. I didn't even know you well enough to call you an idiot, but I guess I do now.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hopefully this guy labels these as hybrids if he sells them. I love the idea of crossing to get potentially beautiful spiders, but people never label. Hopefully they turn out looking great since you have already mated them. Just make sure to label them properly and it should be good.
That's a terrible idea. You are hoping people would be honest and ethical, your sights are not based in reality on this one hah.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Lol, I'm the troll? What an idiot. Frankly, I never even noticed your post. My points were compiled from previous discussions here and elsewhere. Your post had nothing to back up a serious point, thus I moved right past. Lol, I had to go back and look to see what you were even talking about. I didn't even know you well enough to call you an idiot, but I guess I do now.
Are you alright?! All my posts were non confrontational and obviously completely misunderstood by u. I wouldn't post a response like that to anybody, even on a message board. Gross

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Labeling properly or not has nothing to do with this since so many people could care less about doing the right thing.
Even if the original breeder labels them correctly, there is no guarantee that all subsequent owners will do the same, that the hybrids won't also be bred, or that any second-generation hybrids will all be labeled correctly.

In short, it is almost certain that successful interbreeding would (due to dishonesty and/or ignorance) eventually result in hybrids being incorrectly sold (and bred) as one of the parent species.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I hope this isn't a person in Europe, as their stock flows into the USA hobby.
I hope this is a bedroom hobbyist and she/he doesnt get a good sac. If he/she does, i hope they are from Fiji.

Last edited: