More Critter pics..

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heres a few more critter family member pics.. Enjoy!!!

Delilah, sory about the pic the glass had water spots on it... here shes checking out the lighting.....

Attachments

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:D Twinkie, just one of our female leo gex passed out on her humidity house..

Attachments

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And last one for now.. Mr. Muffin and Cupcake, shes peeking out of the hide house.. leo gex....

Attachments

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lets see more pics of that Boa, I love that thing;) :D

Sam,

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:cool: Delilah does not have star gazers disease.. she was just checkin out the lighting.. all boas are curious and will look up from time to time shes 100% healthy...

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Kinetikx, I think I know where you're going with this, so I'll go ahead and add my own two cents. Bearacuda is quite knowledgeable with reptile care. So, she would know if her snake were infected with IBD (Inclusion Body Disease), which is also known as star-gazing disease. Quite a few snakes, particularly young boas, will star-gaze for no obvious reason. From my experience, they seem to be interested in whatever it is above them. The snakes I've handled almost always seem interested in ceiling fans above them. I have seen a lot of boas stargaze in the way I described previously, and I have seen snakes infected with IBD. The difference is as clear as night and day. With IBD, they lose their muscle control, and it just gradually worsens to the point where they have no muscular control, and they don't know up from down, literally. It's a rather sad sight. With that being said, Bearacuda's boa is fine.

Bry

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do Ball pythons have that, Cuz my female looks up at the light on her cage as well. How do you cure it ??

Sam,

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Isnt IBD like the AIDS of the snake world?

Either that, or im mistaking it with something else.

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh man you got me scared now, I wonder if my female has it ??:? I don't think she does but just want to be sure.

Sam,

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Usually they look like a snake with nothing inside it. If your snake can eat, it definitely does not have it. Usually they have absolutely no control over their bodies whatsoever.

Psycho

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Is that disease caused by mite infestation?...cause before my Ball died he did that.

~~~Psycho~~~

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay, first of all, I just want to say...relax. IBD is not as common of a problem as it's made out to be. IBD occurs only in boas and pythons, as far as I know. Unfortunately, there is no known cure for IBD. Like I said, a lot of snakes will star-gaze, even when they are perfectly healthy. They are just investigating the things above them, you will usually see this when they're under ceiling fans and lights. When snakes are infected with IBD, it is completely different from the star-gazing as you see in the pic of Bearacuda's boa.

Basically, they turn into vegetables. For example, a friend of mine had a rosy boa with IBD. When holding her, she would just sit there, she seemed to be unaware of what's going on around her. When she was coiled up, I would turn her over on her back, and she would continue to stare off into space. When I set her down on her back, she continued to do the same thing. A perfectly healthy snake would give you difficulty if you tried turning them over. Also, after setting down a healthy one, they will immediately crawl in whatever direction they choose to go in. Just one note: a healthy ball python curled up in a ball is fairly easy to flip over, and they'll stay that way usually. If you set them down that way, they'll stay that way until they feel it's safe for them to crawl away. I've never seen a ball python with IBD, but, I'm sure that if one were sick, they probably wouldn't even be aware enough to ball up and protect their heads.

Nobody really knows exactly how the disease is transmitted. It seems to be transmitted by physical contact, but it's still unsure as to whether it can be transmitted airborne. It doesn't seem to just appear in a snake for no apparent reason. Mite infestation does seem to be one possible cause of transmitting the disease. However, I wouldn't freak out every time your boid gets mites. A lot of snakes get mites, and if treated properly, they pull through just fine. Just get it taken care of as quickly as possible. Like I said, IBD isn't as common of a problem as it's made out to be.

Bry

Last edited:

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:cool: Well put it this way Delilah likes to sit there and contemplate on how shes gona get out of the cage and she always does it threw a light hole, sure enough that light she was looking at is where she made her exscape this morn and was just sitting on top the cage as if to say HA! HA!! I got out... LOL!! silly stinker she is...

BigSam

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cool I know my ball pytho doesn't have it cuz both of them are eating fine and when I put them down they go away same thing when I hold them

Sam,