Mopani wood and madagascar hissing roaches?

deathsheadmosura

Arachnopeon
Hi, all. I searched around but couldn't find a proper answer anywhere. Is mopani wood safe to use in a roach enclosure? I know that spruce and pine are both big no-nos, as they pose a serious health hazard to the little guys, but knowing that Madagascar hissers live in rotting logs in the wild among detritus and whatnot, I would assume that mopani is a pretty safe substance to have. But just to make sure, I want a second opinion. Thank you!

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
Hi, all. I searched around but couldn't find a proper answer anywhere. Is mopani wood safe to use in a roach enclosure? I know that spruce and pine are both big no-nos, as they pose a serious health hazard to the little guys, but knowing that Madagascar hissers live in rotting logs in the wild among detritus and whatnot, I would assume that mopani is a pretty safe substance to have. But just to make sure, I want a second opinion. Thank you!
I don't have direct experience, most of what I read was related to placing mopani wood in aquariums. Those keepers seeemed to favor boiling it before placing it in the aquarium. I suppose you could try that if you had concerns before placing it with your roaches, then monitor them? Hopefully more keepers will chime in to help you out with this. Good luck

deathsheadmosura

Arachnopeon
They seem to really like it, and haven't had any casualties yet, but I'll continue to monitor the situation juuuuuuust to make sure everything is hunky dory.

Redmont

The collector
Mopani wood is fine for roaches, no need to boil it for them