Montreal Reptile Expo: cork bark?

Deeser

Arachnosquire
Anyone know the chances of finding cork bark at a decent price at the montreal expo? The only cork bark i can find around here is the zoomed brand and I find it really overpriced... Like 24$ CAN for a 12"×6" slab?

Are there typically vendors at the expos who sell unbranded cork bark cheaper?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Christ, I remain always impressed about how much cork bark is high priced in North America.

For less I buy KG's of that, and class A quality :)

To import that from Italy seems less expensive. Unfortunately, my Lombardy dealer doesn't ship outside Italy.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I would look online for a wood company that sales it. I buy mine in bulk from a wood place (I think it's out of NY state). Look for something like that in your area. I also found some nice bulk cork rounds on Amazon at a good price.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Christ, I remain always impressed about how much cork bark is high priced in North America.
Pet store brand stuff is always going to be marked up. Stuff from shows gets the mark up too. I've found several bulk wood sellers that have good prices even with shipping. They usually do not sale under a certain weight though if they have to ship it.

Deeser

Arachnosquire
Pet store brand stuff is always going to be marked up. Stuff from shows gets the mark up too. I've found several bulk wood sellers that have good prices even with shipping. They usually do not sale under a certain weight though if they have to ship it.
Hmm, seems more difficult to find north of the border. Even Amazon.ca has NOTHING compared to Amazon.com. Same inflated pet store prices + shipping.

Our 1 bulk supplier that I found, Jellinek group, sells at $43.20 USD for 1kg (2.2lbs) which is basically a 24"x12" slab... No better than pet store.

Checking with Tarantula Canada to see if they have any suggestions..

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Wow that is pretty high. I'll have to look and see what the name of the company is I bought from and see if the ship Canada. It's a small wood seller so I kinda doubt it though.

Good luck on the hunt. I looked for a while before finding these guys. After housing all my Ts and doing some sprucing on Ringo's enclosure I still have over half the box of rounds and flats.

Deeser

Arachnosquire
Hmm, seems more difficult to find north of the border. Even Amazon.ca has NOTHING compared to Amazon.com. Same inflated pet store prices + shipping.

Our 1 bulk supplier that I found, Jellinek group, sells at $43.20 USD for 1kg (2.2lbs) which is basically a 24"x12" slab... No better than pet store.

Checking with Tarantula Canada to see if they have any suggestions..
Sorry, I should specify that the $43 USD included shipping from Ontario. But yeah, still redonculous.

I'm checking orchid groups too... We shall see! My arboreals are still small enough that timing isn't urgent, but I would like to start building out their enclosures soon.

That L Violaceopes grows fast. :anxious: Am NOT looking forward to that rehouse. Better before next moult than after...

Deeser

Arachnosquire
Wow that is pretty high. I'll have to look and see what the name of the company is I bought from and see if the ship Canada. It's a small wood seller so I kinda doubt it though.

Good luck on the hunt. I looked for a while before finding these guys. After housing all my Ts and doing some sprucing on Ringo's enclosure I still have over half the box of rounds and flats.
Thanks! Would be greatly appreciated if you find it. New York vendors will often ship across the border to MTL. We shall see!

Do you remember how much you got (weight) and what the cost was?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I don't remember the exact prices/weight but it was a lot cheaper than that. The more you buy at once the better it offsets the shipping cost. They did flat shipping if I remember right.

I'll see what I can find when I get home.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Please report back if Tar Canada have some helpful hints....I'm in the same boat.

Deeser

Arachnosquire
Please report back if Tar Canada have some helpful hints....I'm in the same boat.
No luck... Amanda said they don't really have a good bulk source either. Last time they ordered from a company in Toronto, I'm guessing Jellinek as its the only one I've seen, but because the expensive shipping they picked up in person while at the Toronto show.

Deeser

Arachnosquire

For less I buy KG's of that, and class A quality :)

To import that from Italy seems less expensive. Unfortunately, my Lombardy dealer doesn't ship outside Italy.
Looks like I need to go pay @Chris LXXIX a visit in Italy and come with lots of extra luggage space! :rolleyes::angelic:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Looks like I need to go pay @Chris LXXIX a visit in Italy and come with lots of extra luggage space! :rolleyes::angelic:
For real man. I don't have a clue now about how that would "work" with Canadian customs/taxes etc but here class A cork bark (I use that since '92 for my inverts) is incredibly cheap and very good :)