Monocentropus balfouri question

obg

Arachnopeon
Good day everyone. Thinking about getting a couple of the socotra blues and housing em together. However, the breeder i am getting them from keeps them separate.

Question: if i get two of his slings which are kept apart, if i put em together in one enclosure, is there a chance they might turn on each other? Is it better to buy ones that have been kept together? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
There’s always a chance that they can turn on each other when they’re kept separate, or even together. However, many people’s experiences is that they don’t usually show aggression to each other as long as they’re the same size. However, that isn’t set in stone, there’s always a chance they can. It’s up to you if you want to take that risk or not.

Check out Tom Moran’s blog post as well as his videos, he has a communal that’s been working very well for him:
https://tomsbigspiders.com/tag/m-balfouri/

obg

Arachnopeon
There’s always a chance that they can turn on each other when they’re kept separate, or even together. However, many people’s experiences is that they don’t usually show aggression to each other as long as they’re the same size. However, that isn’t set in stone, there’s always a chance they can. It’s up to you if you want to take that risk or not.

Check out Tom Moran’s blog post as well as his videos, he has a communal that’s been working very well for him:
https://tomsbigspiders.com/tag/m-balfouri/
Yeah saw those on youtube.....looked like they were happily coexisting....but slightest chance they would start munching on each other, i'll go solo for my 1st socotra.

Last question: do they TEND to be communal in the wild? More apt to go communal or do they fly solo mostly?

Frazam

Arachnosquire
Don't know if this counts, I got 5 1" slings that grew up together. I separated one planning to keep him/her for breeding purposes. After about a week, I returned it to the community as I've read they grow faster and are generally healthier and more active when kept together. It proceeded to hide with the rest and has made its own web burrow without any untoward incident.

One week isn't that long though, so as I said, dunno if it counts

obg

Arachnopeon
Don't know if this counts, I got 5 1" slings that grew up together. I separated one planning to keep him/her for breeding purposes. After about a week, I returned it to the community as I've read they grow faster and are generally healthier and more active when kept together. It proceeded to hide with the rest and has made its own web burrow without any untoward incident.

One week isn't that long though, so as I said, dunno if it counts

Yeah i wouldnt know what to make of it as well.....dont know if a week is like 3 months in tarantula years or if its just a week to them as well.....but now i know that separating for a week doesnt do anything bad ( at least for your example ).

boina

Lady of the mites
Last question: do they TEND to be communal in the wild? More apt to go communal or do they fly solo mostly?
They've never been found living communally in the wild.
Nobody really knows. There hasn't exactly been a lot of research or attempts to find them in the wild. Yes, they haven't been found living communally in the wild, but nobody has really looked for them either. From the way the female feeds her offspring in captivity I'd think it rather likely that the slings stay together with mom for a while after hatching.

Frazam

Arachnosquire
Yeah i wouldnt know what to make of it as well.....dont know if a week is like 3 months in tarantula years or if its just a week to them as well.....but now i know that separating for a week doesnt do anything bad ( at least for your example ).
I was browsing around the site and I saw someone who separated one of their balfouris and returned it to the communal after 3 months and they accepted it back. Also, if I'm not mistaken (same thread or a different one), someone introduced a non-sacmate to the commune and was accepted as well.

obg

Arachnopeon
I was browsing around the site and I saw someone who separated one of their balfouris and returned it to the communal after 3 months and they accepted it back. Also, if I'm not mistaken (same thread or a different one), someone introduced a non-sacmate to the commune and was accepted as well.
Hhmm....maybe these blue baboons are a lot smarter than previously thought. Sounds like a good subject to study. First, i need to start two separate sacs....and before THAT happens, i need to get my baboons.