Monocentropus Balfouri Breeding Size?

Tessa Clifton

Arachnosquire
So I recently purchased a 3-3.5 inch female M. Balfouri who will be here Teusday (February 12). I really want to pair her and get some cute little slings. I do know that this is a very maternal species and that I don't have to take the sac or babies out of the enclosure for a good while. However, I have heard mixed answers on what size you should start attempting a pairing. Just curious what you guys think. Thanks for the help in advance!

Theneil

Arachnoprince
3" definitely seems a bit on the small side to me. my MM is probably 4 inches or a little bigger so I would guess neat that size is when the females mature. This is just speculation though.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You need to check a molt for maturity and should have a documented molt date before you attempt a pairing anyways.

It looks like M. balfouri get to around 5", so a 3.5" female is *probably* breedable... but once you get her, feed her up and wait for a molt.

Tessa Clifton

Arachnosquire
sounds probable. I'll wait and see what other people think just to double check, but thanks for the advice! I figured she would be a little small, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
sounds probable. I'll wait and see what other people think just to double check, but thanks for the advice! I figured she would be a little small, but it couldn't hurt to ask.
Everyone can speculate, but checking a molt is how you will know for sure.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
You shouldn't attempt to breed anything under 4-5", as mentioned, an examination of the spermathecae is the best way of knowing for certain if a female is mature.

Tessa Clifton

Arachnosquire
I will at least wait until she molts under my care so that I can see if she is mature, but I think I'll just give her a few months to a year to see if I can get her to 4" or so before I pair her. Thanks for the help guys!

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I heard 70% full size is a good guess. However if you are a professional like me you will use the advanced 100% insurance methid. Grab a molt, now check the spaghetti dangler thingy-ma-bob lady spiders get (I think it is called a spertmacathater), not it should be scoltiErized or whatever, which means it turned brown, basically in layman terms.

you are welcome.

**WARINING: do not quote Tene he has no concept of anything. He suffers from extreme delusions, please take his words lightly salted. Any issues that may occur because you quoted Tene on an academic paper is your own fault. The former is not a complete list and may be longer**

honestly I dont recommend breeding a 4" female, size is a bad method to test a reality...well so my imaginary girlfriend tells me. :sour: