Molting

Mitchel

Arachnosquire
Pantera seems to be very close to molting. She's been giving all the signs as far as I can see. I just have a few questions.

First, how long does it take for a T to molt? I've heard that it usually only takes a couple hours, but I want to make sure.

Second, is there anything specific that I need to do after she molts? I know that I am 100% NOT supposed to interfere with her while she's molting, but what about when she's done?

Third, will my brother banging on his wall upstairs (he has anger issues) cause her to abort the molt? I remember someone telling me that the banging shouldn't affect her, but I don't know if that's also true for when she's molting.

Finally, is there anything else super important that I should know about molting?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
First, how long does it take for a T to molt? I've heard that it usually only takes a couple hours, but I want to make sure.
Depends on the size. Slings can be done in a matter of minutes, while larger Ts will take a few hours to get out of their molts.
Second, is there anything specific that I need to do after she molts? I know that I am 100% NOT supposed to interfere with her while she's molting, but what about when she's done?
Leave it alone, make sure there's a water dish available. Molting uses a lot of fluids and can put a T at risk of dehydration.

Third, will my brother banging on his wall upstairs (he has anger issues) cause her to abort the molt?
Should be fine. I had a spider molt once while roofers were working. The walls were shaking and the molt went fine.

Mitchel

Arachnosquire
Depends on the size. Slings can be done in a matter of minutes, while larger Ts will take a few hours to get out of their molts.

Leave it alone, make sure there's a water dish available. Molting uses a lot of fluids and can put a T at risk of dehydration.

Should be fine. I had a spider molt once while roofers were working. The walls were shaking and the molt went fine.
Thank you for answering all my questions! Now I have another urgent one. She JUST started molting right after I typed this, but she's not upside down. I'm worried sick that this might be bad...

Timj

Arachnopeon
Some of mine have molted upright before and have all come out fine it is not unheard of

Mitchel

Arachnosquire
Some of mine have molted upright before and have all come out fine it is not unheard of
Oh that's such a relief...I got super worried. I just got her on the 13th and I love her so much already. I'm a new T owner so I'm just constantly worrying about her. Thank you for the help!

Timj

Arachnopeon
Oh that's such a relief...I got super worried. I just got her on the 13th and I love her so much already. I'm a new T owner so I'm just constantly worrying about her. Thank you for the help!
No worries, i am pretty recent too but have a large collection now and deal with all sorts of tarantulas they are amazing creatures :) just do loads of research in your spare time if you are serious about it and you will learn some cool stuff and it will also make you at ease and more confident with the way you care for them. The majority of them are super easy to maintain :)

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Since it wasn't mentioned, I'd also like to add that they can't eat for at least a few days after molting. I generally wait a week before offering food if it's a sling or juvenile, but I wait two weeks with my adults. After the molt, their fangs will go from white, to red, to black. You don't want to offer food until the fangs are black. Additionally, just because the fangs are black, doesn't always mean they'll take food. Sometimes they like waiting a little longer than they need to to finally accept prey. So don't panic if it doesn't eat even after it appears to be ready to eat

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fang color is all you need to know, and as Pidder said, you may have to wait a while for it to be ready. This is especially true for Ts that are 3” and larger. Sometimes you wait 2 months. Depending upon species, I suggest you learn your Ts behavior. For example most Avics will often be head down once they are ready to eat after molting.

Mitchel

Arachnosquire
Fang color is all you need to know, and as Pidder said, you may have to wait a while for it to be ready. This is especially true for Ts that are 3” and larger. Sometimes you wait 2 months. Depending upon species, I suggest you learn your Ts behavior. For example most Avics will often be head down once they are ready to eat after molting.
I'm studying her behavior, trust me. She's finally gotten out of her corner and wandered into her hide. It seems natural to me that she would want to hide after a molt. I haven't been bothering her at all, but I'm assuming she's fine. Should I move her water dish closer to her hide? It's a bit far away atm, and I don't want her to get dehydrated.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm studying her behavior, trust me. She's finally gotten out of her corner and wandered into her hide. It seems natural to me that she would want to hide after a molt. I haven't been bothering her at all, but I'm assuming she's fine. Should I move her water dish closer to her hide? It's a bit far away atm, and I don't want her to get dehydrated.
Never hurts to move it. or dropping H20 on silk is just as good for some Ts