Molting Without Premolt Signs

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
Something strange just happened. Much to my surprise, my Brachypelma albopilosum molted last night. This is a happy occasion of course, but I had no clue she was preparing to molt. She gave me ZERO signs of premolt. She ate yesterday! The day before she molted! She didn't close off her burrow either, and I don't think its color darkened. If it did, I couldn't tell. She may been more lethargic than usual, and she spent less time on top. Her abdomen was also a little bit larger than normal, but not premolt large!

She molted just fine, and is very due for a rehousing, but has anyone had an experience like this before? Where the spider doesn't show any of the classic premolt signs before molting? A strange occurrence, indeed.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I have several here that do that regularly. Our B. smithi just this week ate two days before she molted. I didn't see her darkening and in her case there is no such thing as being noticeably lethargic since she's a classic pet rock. Sure surprised me to check in on her the other night and find a very freshly molted tarantula. Most of my tropical terrestrials are the same way. My N. coloratovillosus, Pamphobeteus sp. Santo Domingo, and P. cancerides are always like that. The Nhandu ate a couple hours before she molted the last time.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My B. smithi surprised me her last molt. She's been a picky eater for awhile now and had molted with a span of seven to eight months between each for the last couple times. This time it had been just over four months and she certainly didn't look premolt.

Now she didn't eat the day before like yours, but I still didn't expect it quite so soon.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not strange at all. With many NW species, if they don't kick a bald spot (most of mine do not) that provides a "window" to the cuticle, you have to rely on more subtle signs. Each spider is a little different and may behave differently from one molt to the next. The longer you have an induvidual, the better you will become attuned to the subtle signs.

AshLee

Arachnopeon
Not strange at all. With many NW species, if they don't kick a bald spot (most of mine do not) that provides a "window" to the cuticle, you have to rely on more subtle signs. Each spider is a little different and may behave differently from one molt to the next. The longer you have an induvidual, the better you will become attuned to the subtle signs.
Some odd years ago I remember reading about someone that would use a Q-tip to gently rub off some of the urticating hairs on the abdomen so that they could see when it darkened or not. I don't know how anyone feels about that, but it's something that apparently stuck with me.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I think I'm going to stick with surprise molts over attempting to rub any of my tarantulas with a q tip.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some odd years ago I remember reading about someone that would use a Q-tip to gently rub off some of the urticating hairs on the abdomen so that they could see when it darkened or not. I don't know how anyone feels about that, but it's something that apparently stuck with me.
I prefer my tarantula butts fully setaed. Don't wanna see no nekked heineys. There are too many other signs without stressing the T with a cheat sheet.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
I prefer my tarantula butts fully setaed. Don't wanna see no nekked heineys. There are too many other signs without stressing the T with a cheat sheet.
But I didn't see any other signs. Still, as stated above, I'd rather be surprised in the morning than try to poke a defensive T with a cute tip.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
But I didn't see any other signs. Still, as stated above, I'd rather be surprised in the morning than try to poke a defensive T with a cute tip.
The fact that it ate right before a molt doesn't seem like the usual premolt build up.

How big was the tarantula?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've had Ts molt after eating the day before. Honestly with some of mine I still have a hard time telling if that they are in pre-molt. I'm looking at all of you Avics over there. Some are much easier and show the signs but other not so much IME.

Tenevanica

Arachnodemon
The fact that it ate right before a molt doesn't seem like the usual premolt build up.

How big was the tarantula?
Before or after the molt? Maybe 2.5 to 2.75 inches before the molt. She's just over 3 inches now.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I would not want to do this to any of my spiders and I agree with others that stated it is much more pleasant to observe a specimen with a full abdomen of setae than one that looks like it got scalded on an iron. Now that my B. smithi molted out of her previously bald spot abdomen I am hoping she will not do the same thing again and remain fully clothed lol

@AshLee that sounds like a bad idea ...