Molting today?

JerkyRice

Arachnopeon
Aloha, so it looks like my A. Avicularia is molting today. It has shown all signs of premolt (made a hammock, refused food, looks like a bald spot). Premolt has been going on since I got it, about a month (minus on small cricket the first week).

So when I came home from work today, it is kind of on its back in its web. It isn’t completely laying down, but is turned over. It has been completely motionless since I’ve been home. My daughter said it’s been turned over for the past 5 hours or so.

I’ve read a lot that says molting doesn’t generally take longer than six hours, but it’s been five and she’s still just sitting there still.

Should I be worried?

Do they sometimes remain in this position for a while before actually starting to molt?

Should I be seeing more movement?

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
How large is she? The larger they are, the longer it takes. Adults can take up to 24 hours to complete the process. The first stage can take many hours and, during that time, they are going to be motionless for the most part. It's only the final stage, when they are extracting themselves, where you see the bulk of the action.
They can also just lie around like that, though. I find my Avicularia crumpled up in the strangest positions sometimes.

JerkyRice

Arachnopeon
She (I’m hoping to verify once she done) is about 3”.

Thank you for the reply, as I was reading I checked on her again and she has now started extracting herself!!

I can’t begin to tell you how excited I am right now!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Good. Let us know how it goes. That is not an unusual amount of time for an individual of that size.

JerkyRice

Arachnopeon
We made it out! I wasn’t able to figure out the sex, I’ve never done it before and was very careful, but it looks like it just got too jacked up to tell. Looks like I’m waiting for the next one. It’s flipped back over and is resting, I’ll probably try to feed Friday night.

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I’ve read a lot that says molting doesn’t generally take longer than six hours, but it’s been five and she’s still just sitting there still.
Once they actually pop the carapace and get cracking it doesn't take too long but they can sit upside down for hours doing nothing before that happens, had a 6" LP sit there doing nothing for 8+ hrs before.

I wasn’t able to figure out the sex, I’ve never done it before and was very careful, but it looks like it just got too jacked up to tell.
You need to open it up like this.

JerkyRice

Arachnopeon
I tried to open it up, did t look like there was enough there to open up. Could just be a rookie mistake, but I’ll try again next time. I do have a feeling it’s a male though, I’ll post some pictures after a few days and see what everyone thinks.

JerkyRice

Arachnopeon
Man, he/she is gorgeous sporting the new outfit! I can’t wait to post a picture but I don’t want to disturb yet.

I’m so glad my wife let me get into this! Haha.... now it’s just a matter of convincing her to let me get more. I plan on giving it a while and making sure everything goes smooth before I try to. But the thought of getting more to take care of is exciting!

Rayze

Arachnopeon
My C. Versicolor has been in premolt for almost 4 weeks now and "she" is a juvenile at 2.5". Since they are similar species, I have noticed that there really isn't a typical position that they use each molt. Her last molt nearly 4 months ago was done completely upright so don't be surprised to see that as well. Spoods do spood things lol.

Congratulations on the great molt, wee one!