1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molting questions

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by NYCspiderGuy, Feb 3, 2005.

1. NYCspiderGuy

NYCspiderGuy Arachnoknight Old Timer

Advertisement
    Hi all,
    I am a new T owner, and tonight i found my chilean rose hair on her back. I'm assuming that she has started to molt. How long should this process take from flipping on her back to beginning to emerge? Any specific caring instrustions other than to leave it alone?
    thanks.

2. BlkCat

BlkCat Arachnoprince Old Timer

time range from 2 and 1/2 to 5 or 6 hours. Mine take 3 and 4 hours.

3. Mattyb

Mattyb Arachnoking Old Timer

I couldn't have said it better myself. :clap:

-Mattyb

4. Windchaser

Windchaser Arachnoking Old Timer

The times others mentioned are pretty accurate. As you guessed, just leave her alone and don't bother her for about a week after either. Defnitiely don't feed her for at least a week. Watch her fangs. They need to be completely dark before you attempt feeding her.

Now, sit back and watch in amazement.

5. PapaRoacher

PapaRoacher Arachnoknight Old Timer

My G. Rosea took about 12 hours in total to shed her skin...

6. BlkCat

BlkCat Arachnoprince Old Timer

Thats because we were talking about this earlier. Mattyb's Rose hair took 2 1/2 hours to molt last time.
    I would leave it alone and keep the room dark and quiet. Dont feed for a week. Be sure they are nice and hard.

7. Derfjuan

Derfjuan Arachnosquire Old Timer

PA
    My G. rosea took about 2 hours to molt ... i left for the bar and he was fine .... i came back and he was a new MAN! but since your posting and asking youre playing it smart ... so as long as you continue to play it smart you will be fine ... just give her some time and like they said, watch the fangs.

8. NYCspiderGuy

follow-up

My Grammostola rosea has been on her back and not moving since 9pm... that makes about 5-5.5 hours. Normal?
    Been watching since beginning, I was just going to go to bed and leave her alone.

9. NYCspiderGuy

another follow-up

just as I posted last message, I went to cage and she is pumping legs slowly.
    First movement in hours. Normal?

10. Mattyb

Mattyb Arachnoking Old Timer

As long as he/she is making progress, everything should be alright. Do you plan on staying up until he/she is finished?

-Mattyb

11. NYCspiderGuy

4:25am update

yes...of course I cannot go to sleep until this is over.
    She is mostly out and the old carapace is convulsing from time to time. Looks like two live animals for now.
    Fascinating!

12. NYCspiderGuy

One More Question

I want to remove the molt as soon as possible to keep it. When can I be sure not to injure/freak out the spider?
    Any clues about preserving molt in good shape?

13. Brando

Brando Arachnoknight

Once the T has gone away from the molt it should be fine to remove it, of course that is if the T didn't forget his wallet or something in his other outfit.

14. They don't need to wait a week before feeding. The latest I've seen a T need to go before thier fangs harden is 2-3 days. I'd wait 4 days at the most to be safe. Make sure to offer some water when she's up on her feet again too.

15. bonesmama

bonesmama Arachnoprince Old Timer

IMO- from what I've observed it depends on the size ot the T as well as a couple other things...how big is she? My largest T took @ 10 hrs. on her last molt. Just leave her alone and keep her warm unless she looks like she's having trouble-stuck legs, etc. This is the most amazing part of T keeping- it always blows my mind! {D

16. Gemein

Gemein Arachnosquire Old Timer

ROFLMAO... I wonder if they're need to update their photo ID since they're a new T. :?
    Congrats man; it's amaizing how life works. Please keep us updated on the T; hope everything goes great