Molting problem or just taking a long time?

bryanon

Arachnopeon
Hi I have a Brachypelma vagans "Wuzzy" about 7-8 years ago I raised from a sling.
Just yesterday I found it was molting. It might have started over the weekend but I don't know exactly because I keep it at work. It was in this position yesterday too. I poked it carefully today with a small brush and there was no response or movement. What should I do?

In photo, old exoskeleton is to the left side and touching ground. Wuzzy has emerged partially, with her head and legs free but thorax still not done I think.

Thank you

Last edited:

bryanon

Arachnopeon
I just took another photo. Wuzzy still not moving. Should just leave her alone??

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That definitely looks abnormal to me. It looks like it could've been a wet molt. (Please correct me if I'm wrong). If she is stuck I'd carefully free her legs before they harden in the exo skeleton but wait for a second opinion, I'm not too experienced with bad molts.

DeanK

Arachnosquire
I'm not sure what's happening here but your vagans is actually the 1 on the left in the 2 pics you posted. You can see the white fangs indicative of a T that just molted

bryanon

Arachnopeon
Thanks .. yes you're right it is the one on the left side I think it is dead because I don't see any movement and the legs look limp. I will leave it like that just in case. After poking around at it it looks as though the thorax did not detach while molting. doesn't look good. it's a very sad day.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It definitely doesn't look good, I'm sorry :( I can't tell from the pictures, but if the book lungs on the abdomen never got free then it simply suffocated. Unfortunately, it happens from time to time.

Kymura

Arachnoknight
Oh man...so sorry. Fingers crossed that it's just resting a moment.

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just know that it wasn't your fault, sometimes these things just happen. :( Hoping for the best even though it doesn't look too good.

bryanon

Arachnopeon
Thank you. I'm still in a state of disbelief. I took such good care of Wuzzy. Most people don't understand how we can keep T's as pets but they are incredibly fascinating and beautiful creatures. I just feel completely in shock and empty inside.

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Thank you. I'm still in a state of disbelief. I took such good care of Wuzzy. Most people don't understand how we can keep T's as pets but they are incredibly fascinating and beautiful creatures. I just feel completely in shock and empty inside.
So sorry.