Molting or dying?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
The box even states its rated for 150 watt. But not for ceramic....hmmmm i think you will be fine

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I was once a ZooMed fan. No longer. Got tired of their limited lifespan products.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Fixture should work fine, just keep an eye on the cord where it runs into the porcelain.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Ended up calling customer service just in case and they said that the heat emitter instructions were outdated and the clamp lamp no longer works with them. Just gonna sell the clamp lamp and buy the right one. I might as well do that than risk breaking one or both of them and not being able to get any money off of them. :/

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
This is the exact one im using... i didn't even bother to make sure it was the right one lol i checked to see if the bulb fit and tada!!! My heat source 20170706_173712.jpg 20170706_173718.jpg

Extensionofgreen

Arachnosquire
2 things:
1) Why not take the lamp back and exchange it?
2) The ceramic base and wattage rating is perfectly adequate to operate the heat emitter safely. The reason they are saying not to use that fixture and to use their other lamp, is because in a reptile habitat, there would be a risk of the heat emitter burning the reptile, without the cage in place, to prevent contact. This is less of a concern with a light bulb ( though still a hazard in my opinion ) for a reptile, because they see the light and instinctually know light means heat, whereas with the heat emitter, by the time they realized the heat was coming from that source, their slower nervous system would have meant they would burn themselves, before realizing they were in contact with the emitter.

Stugy

Arachnolord
2 things:
1) Why not take the lamp back and exchange it?
2) The ceramic base and wattage rating is perfectly adequate to operate the heat emitter safely. The reason they are saying not to use that fixture and to use their other lamp, is because in a reptile habitat, there would be a risk of the heat emitter burning the reptile, without the cage in place, to prevent contact. This is less of a concern with a light bulb ( though still a hazard in my opinion ) for a reptile, because they see the light and instinctually know light means heat, whereas with the heat emitter, by the time they realized the heat was coming from that source, their slower nervous system would have meant they would burn themselves, before realizing they were in contact with the emitter.
1) I bought it off the internet and the return is terribly priced and I'm only gonna get about half the money back due to having to pay shipping. I'm just going to resell it.
2) From what you've described then I still might as well not use it.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
What I described is that you can and SHOULD use it. You're using it outside of the habitat, not inside.
Agreed, they it would be way too hot inside an enclosure but hovering above no problem. You can mount it and guage distance for different heat. All mu enclosures that it points directly at stay around the mid to high 90s and enclosure off to the side stay in the 80s

Stugy

Arachnolord
Oh it seems that I interpreted #2 wrong. I'll try it when I get home in a few hours. Or maybe now... I'm just afraid that something might break and I won't be able to get anything out of it if it doesn't work. But I might as well try.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Oh yeah and the instructions for both items clearly stated not to put the emitter or light inside the enclosure anyways. Plus that would be a waste since I need it to heat my entire collection (which doesn't take up too much space). Gonna try it right now and hope that it doesn't spark since my floor is carpeting xD.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Oh yeah and the instructions for both items clearly stated not to put the emitter or light inside the enclosure anyways. Plus that would be a waste since I need it to heat my entire collection (which doesn't take up too much space). Gonna try it right now and hope that it doesn't spark since my floor is carpeting xD.
Lolololol good luck

soldierof4cheese

Arachnoknight
The box even states its rated for 150 watt. But not for ceramic....hmmmm i think you will be fine
A heater element is different than a light bulb, the heater will probably pull to many amps thru the cord and get hot. If the cord is heavy enough, like twelve gauge wire, I would think it would be fine.. I use red light bulbs in my clamp fixtures and the heat elements are ran thru a different setup.

Extensionofgreen

Arachnosquire
A heater element is different than a light bulb, the heater will probably pull to many amps thru the cord and get hot. If the cord is heavy enough, like twelve gauge wire, I would think it would be fine.. I use red light bulbs in my clamp fixtures and the heat elements are ran thru a different setup.
But the fact that the fixture has a ceramic socket, it indicates it is capable of handling something of reasonable wattage/heat output. As long as the OP is not exceeding the wattage the fixture is indicated for, the ceramic base can accept the ceramic heat emitter.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Heheh I was too chicken to do it. I'll just sell it and buy the right one lol.

Extensionofgreen

Arachnosquire
The "right" one just has a protective cage to prevent a reptile from coming in direct contact with the heat emitter and has no influence on your use of the product. If the base of the fixture is ceramic, not plastic, and the fixture is rated for at or above the wattage of the heat emitter, then it's perfectly safe and compatible to use.

Stugy

Arachnolord
The "right" one just has a protective cage to prevent a reptile from coming in direct contact with the heat emitter and has no influence on your use of the product. If the base of the fixture is ceramic, not plastic, and the fixture is rated for at or above the wattage of the heat emitter, then it's perfectly safe and compatible to use.
You aren't supposed to put the lamp in the enclosure in the first place so how is the reptile going to come in contact with the lamp anyways?

Extensionofgreen

Arachnosquire
You aren't supposed to put the lamp in the enclosure in the first place so how is the reptile going to come in contact with the lamp anyways?
The other product they want you to buy has the "cages" on the front, designed to prevent animals from contacting the bulbs and getting burned. Why a bulb that isn't inside the enclosure would need a metal cage around it, I cannot answer, other than to say that zoomed is there to sell a product. Whether that product is needed or serves a valid purpose, is safe, or in the best interest on captive reptiles ( where they often market towards ) is a another story. They have good products, they have useless gimmicks, and they have products or marketing designed to get you to buy more zoomed products.
A ceramic base on a fixture is indicative of a fixture that will be handling something hot. Heat, on terms of light bulbs or screw in heat emitters, means there's going to be considerable wattage, so there is no way they paired a more expensive ceramic socket with a cord that can't handle at least 100watts +......it doesn't make financial sense. They could of used a cheaper, plastic base, even if they wanted you to buy the fixture with the bulb cage, you don't need. I've been doing the reptile/aquarium/plant/invertebrate thing for over 20 years, so I'm positive I'm right. If that fixture has a ceramic base and that emitter doesn't exceed the given watttage on the fixture, there isn't any reason in the works that they aren't safely compatible and if you think you need the other fixture, aside from the bulb cage, what is different, that makes it compatible with your heat emitter? Nothing, I can almost bet money that unless it's rated for more wattage, not one thing. The bulb cage has nothing to do with the wattage or heat the unit can manage.