Molting or dying?

Stugy

Arachnolord
To be honest, I've never had a scorpion molt in my care. About 10 minutes ago I checked on my new Hottentotta franzwerneri's and I saw that one of them was upside down. Since 2 of the babies I ordered died in transit I'm scared that this one is probably dying from stress or something that may have been caused by stress. They are all 2nd instar currently. I know that they were born last month and probably left their mother's back about 1-2 weeks ago. I have given the opposite side of the enclosure a light mist just in case this is a molt to the 3rd instar. If pictures are needed I can but they will be a bit blurry due to their small size. Please help.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
20170527_184145.jpg I haven't had a franz molt in my care but i have had a few scorps molt on their back. But every couple seconds you will see it twitch slowly nudging its way out

How are the temps

Stugy

Arachnolord
View attachment 245147 I haven't had a franz molt in my care but i have had a few scorps molt on their back. But every couple seconds you will see it twitch slowly nudging its way out

How are the temps
I'm guessing the temps are in the mid-70s (F) right now and I really have no way of bringing up the temperature besides the AC but that's going to irritate the hell outta my family. I will continue to observe the lil guy/gal and just hope it's a molt.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I'm guessing the temps are in the mid-70s (F) right now and I really have no way of bringing up the temperature besides the AC but that's going to irritate the hell outta my family. I will continue to observe the lil guy/gal and just hope it's a molt.
I would highly recommend in somr sort of heat source. Younger instars will need it.. keep in mind they come from a desert that hits well into 90s - 100s

Rugg the bug man

Arachnoknight
A couple of my H. franzwerneri molted upside down and a few other species I have also did. Nothing too unusual there but if you can I'd def boost the temp IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG

Stugy

Arachnolord
I would highly recommend in somr sort of heat source. Younger instars will need it.. keep in mind they come from a desert that hits well into 90s - 100s
Yeah. I am having my 100w heat emitter coming in next week or so and I accidentally bought the wrong lamp which does accept heat emitters which means I only have $10 and that's not enough to buy the right lamp :banghead: Going to post pics in a minute or two.

Rugg the bug man

Arachnoknight
Hopefully it is molting but I don't know kind a hard to tell from the pics. I would just let him or her be and try not to disturb it and check back in an hour or so

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
I highly recommend that everyone read my thread on the hot box option. it is MUCH easier to strictly control the temps for a lot of scorpions at once....regardless of ambient room temps. you can even have 2 boxes if needed. one for desert types and one for tropical types. I have had great success with this design for my younger (under 5i) instars. it is super easy, super cost effective compared to heaters, lamps, etc etc. yes the box will cost you a couple hundred bucks but you will never have to worry about it again. its a small price to pay for piece of mind.

also keep in mind that every now and again, a perfectly healthy scorpion can have a bad molt and not make it. it happens to me a little more often than most due to size of my collection. it sucks but its part of the game we play!!

ButhidaeBomb

Cant Re-Member
Old Timer
as rugg stated....check back in a hour. if nothing changes, check back in another hour. after that, wait till morning. if nothing then, I usually lightly spray a small amount of water near, but not on, the scorpion to add some humidity. if nothing has changed after about 10 hour from that, its likely not going to make it.

Stugy

Arachnolord
So far I've seen zero movement coming from the scorpion. I am currently assuming it dead though I will wait until tomorrow in the afternoon until I can confirm it.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Dang.... sorry for the losses man.. my best guess is the heat... not warm enough for them

Stugy

Arachnolord
Dang.... sorry for the losses man.. my best guess is the heat... not warm enough for them
Yeah that's what I was thinking, the heat. The other 3 seem to be doing perfectly fine though and my other scorpions don't even seem to care. :/ The guy I bought the franzwerneri said that he'll throw in some freebies for me on my next purchase because of the 2 DOA. Concerning my heating problem, I should have me heat emitter by Monday and then I'll have to save up again to buy the proper clamp lamp as I purchased the wrong lamp ;-;. And then I also have my feeder shortage which should be fixed by next week or so with a few lateralis coming in. All I gotta do now is hope the last three will make it.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I got plenty of red runners i can always hook you up for cheap
Yes please :happy: I'll definitely grab a few when I can afford them! Buahaha I need a job so bad :dead: Curse you summer school getting in the way!

RTTB

Arachnoprince
The hot Box recommendation is right on the money. It's a cheap investment when you think about when taking care of pricey scorpions.

Stugy

Arachnolord
Right now I'm confused. So I just got my heat emitter today and when I looked at the instructions, it is supposed to be for use for clamp lamps, LF-10, LF-12, and LF-15. I recently purchased a clamp lamp (LF-12) before I received the heat emitter and THOSE instructions said I can't use a heat emitter. Wat :sour: Both products are from Zoo Med by the way. 2nd pic are the Heat Emitter instructions and the 3rd is the Clamp Lamp instructions. @ArachnoDrew ?

Attachments