Molting Millipede

slightscost

Arachnopeon
I’m freakin out! I have 2 desert millipedes and yesterday night I got a better fitting tank for them. I didn’t even think that they could’ve been molting when I started lightly digging around in their original home to move them. They had both been buried for about a month or so (not unusual for them) but when I found them one appeared to be light in color and in a spiral. They cringed at the light but I’m not 100% certain that I didn’t graze them with my finger. I know it’s super important that they’re not disturbed while molting. Did I accidentally kill them by doing this? Thanks :(

Wesley Smith

Arachnoknight
Not necessarily, I would just leave them buried and if they aren’t up within the next few weeks - a month VERY LIGHTLY dig to see if you can find a live one or not. I have found molting pedes and even moved them with great care and they turned out alright.

I wish you the best,
Wesley

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I had a bumblebee millipede that was moulting during shipping. I didn't realise until I had them on my hand, as they were hidden by the substrate in the shipping container. I put them in their new tank as carefully as possible and they completed the moult with no problems. I did a count of the millipedes a few weeks later when I transferred them to a new tank, so I know they made it.

Though it's not a good idea to touch them during a moult, it doesn't mean it's a death sentence to have an accidental gentle touch.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I agree with @Polenth and @Wesley Smith, your millipede should turn out alright despite the disturbance. It sounds like you had caught it right before or after it had molted, and not during the critical time of the actual molting process.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

slightscost

Arachnopeon
I had a bumblebee millipede that was moulting during shipping. I didn't realise until I had them on my hand, as they were hidden by the substrate in the shipping container. I put them in their new tank as carefully as possible and they completed the moult with no problems. I did a count of the millipedes a few weeks later when I transferred them to a new tank, so I know they made it.

Though it's not a good idea to touch them during a moult, it doesn't mean it's a death sentence to have an accidental gentle touch.
I agree with @Polenth and @Wesley Smith, your millipede should turn out alright despite the disturbance. It sounds like you had caught it right before or after it had molted, and not during the critical time of the actual molting process.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts
Thank you both!