1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molting help please

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Roberta, May 22, 2018.

1. Roberta

Roberta Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi. I have a jumping spider, I'm pretty sure he/she is a phidippus audax. She went inside that little house 8 days ago and I can see some web hammock in the doorway. Could she be laying eggs in there? Or perhaps molting? I had fed her 3 house flies over the previous week. (Just after I discovered she'd moved in to our patio) . I just love watching her hunt and she keeps an eye on me too. This is my first spider friend and I am learning as much as I can, but I can' seem to find the answer for how long they stay in their hammock web while molting. I've read that it can be anywhere from 1 week to 1 month. That's a pretty big range.
    Thanks for any info I can get.

Attached Files:

2. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

It all depends on how long the spider wants to take. Sometimes they molt and pop right out, other times they're slow about it. With that much food it's certainly one or the other and I believe at this time of year most P. audax will be adults, so there's a chance she's producing a sac. Whether it'd be a dud or not depends on whether she mated before you caught her.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Roberta

Roberta Arachnopeon

Well I will try to be patient with my little friend then. She is wild and not enclosed (this is in a planter on a table in my backyard) Wouldn't that be fun with 200 babies crawling out? If that happens I have got to hope it won't be when we have company over. I'm not sure even if it is a female. I'm just guessing female because she was staying in the planter and I read that the males usually wander around in search of a mate.
    Thanks for your help.

4. Roberta

Roberta Arachnopeon

I can see what could be a leg exoskeleton. Or remnents of a past meal. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

5. pannaking22

Ah, I didn't realize it was a wild friend, even better then! I love having jumpers like that. That's an insect leg, probably one of the true bugs. Males won't wander as much until they mature, and from your profile pic I think it's a female.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roberta

Roberta Arachnopeon

2018-6-1 10-18-5.jpg Almost 3 weeks later my spider friend emerged from the little house. She now has a white spot on her abdomen. Stripes on her legs and her chelicerae are more green. So happy she is fine. Fed her a house fly. She is a phidippus audax. And molting took 20 days. Or at least she was in that house for 20 days.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  7. pannaking22

Very cute, glad to see she came back out again!

8. RileyT

RileyT Arachnopeon

That is so awesome!! I have been on the look out for little jumping spiders and this is the first summer I haven't even seen 1. Good luck

9. Roberta

Roberta Arachnopeon

Thanks for taking an interest in my spider friend (Phin) (as in star wars but spelled with a ph because she is a phiddipus). She isn't so bold as the name implys, hiding most of the time inside the house when I approach. I did see one other jumping spider in my backyard a week or so ago. It was on the outside of my kitchen window. (so I caught a housefly and fed him/her) Haven't seen her since She was the size of Phin before molting. A few years ago I had one that lived in a bushy potted plant that I always saw when I watered the plant. It was BIG. It shimmered a blue hue. But was all black otherwise.
    Good luck with your spider endevours.
    Roberta

Attached Files:

10. Roberta

Roberta Arachnopeon

Phin hiding in her tiny home.

Attached Files:

11. Roberta

Roberta Arachnopeon

Couldn't resist one more picture. Phin looking around.

Attached Files: