1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Molting emergency

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by marquy, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Advertisement
    my lp molted today and part of her abdomen split or did not grow right. She's doing fine, no sign of stress, but what precautionary measures can I take? And will this just scab and grow back or is this more dire?

Attached Files:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking Active Member

Pour some flour over it and hopefully it will scab over. It looks very fragile and may get worse if not treated now

3. I t was already scabbing but I gave her the flour treatment as instructed. I also have my sally Hansen nail hardener also! She's not curling or breathing hard so hopefully she'll recover!

4. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoknight Active Member

5. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

they dont breathe hard...they are passive breathers using primitive book lungs....they use their mouth for food and water intake, not breathing.

Its very positive that its both not leaking hemolymph and acting normally. Best of luck.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Walker253

Walker253 Arachnobaron Active Member

I had a P cancerides with a similar issue. She made it. I was worried about the next molt. She pulled through that. She does have a scar now. We'll see what the next molt does.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Formerphobe

Formerphobe Arachnoking Arachnosupporter

VA, USA
    Feed sparingly through the next molt, or however many molts it takes for the lesion to repair itself. You don't want to cause undue pressure on the abdomen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. IMG_0450.JPG
    Update: She's doing well and a scab has formed nicely over the wound after a dab of flour. Should I apply the nail hardener also once the scabbing is complete or is that not necessary?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  9. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    I wouldn't as it looks to be doing ok. If it was still leaking I might would try it as a last ditch effort but only if I had tried everything else. If that nail hardener sticks the exoskeleton to softer parts of the T's insides it could cause a worse molting problem later.

Glad to see it doing better.

• Agree Agree x 3