molting + cricket

Zepmaster

Arachnopeon
I just fed my Hati Hati the cricket ran down into the cork bark tube i little bit later i shown a light into the tube and saw the Tarantula in the process of molting with a large cricket right there next to it, help! now what?

OK here is what i did very carefully removes the cork bark tube from the enclosure and set it on its side hoping the cricket would wander out on its own, which it did so i guess i panicked a bit unnecessarily. i'm worried that i may have disturbed my tarantula too much but as it ate the day before and i almost never see it i had no sign it was in premolt.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Eh... now what? :)

Nothing. I wouldn't, personally, disturb a Theraphosidae while molting, for remove a nearby cricket. That would be a huge risk, and I don't take such risks.

Hope that:

1) Nothing bad happens (can happen, btw).

2) The cricket manage to move far from the spider, where you, gently, can open the enclosure for remove said bugger.

Zepmaster

Arachnopeon
Eh... now what? :)

Nothing. I wouldn't, personally, disturb a Theraphosidae while molting, for remove a nearby cricket. That would be a huge risk, and I don't take such risks.

Hope that:

1) Nothing bad happens (can happen, btw).

2) The cricket manage to move far from the spider, where you, gently, can open the enclosure for remove said bugger.
ei ei ei now i really feel like i did the wrong thing i hope it works out . . .like i said i kinda panicked when i saw the cricket sitting on my molting T. damn gotta learn some how i guess but i really didnt know what to do

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
ei ei ei now i really feel like i did the wrong thing i hope it works out . . .like i said i kinda panicked when i saw the cricket sitting on my molting T. damn gotta learn some how i guess but i really didnt know what to do
Well, when I leaved my comment you already managed to remove the cricket (basically we posted at the same time).

It's not written, at all, man, that you did something wrong in your process of 'cricket-removal'.

Just, next time, for remain safe (if you don't spot the 'pre molt' signs) before offering a prey, check :)

scott99

Arachnoknight
OK here is what i did very carefully removes the cork bark tube from the enclosure and set it on its side hoping the cricket would wander out on its own, which it did so i guess i panicked a bit unnecessarily. i'm worried that i may have disturbed my tarantula too much but as it ate the day before and i almost never see it i had no sign it was in premolt.
Hmm, that's interesting. There's not a lot you can do. Just watch it closely.

Zepmaster

Arachnopeon
Well, when I leaved my comment you already managed to remove the cricket (basically we posted at the same time).

It's not written, at all, man, that you did something wrong in your process of 'cricket-removal'.

Just, next time, for remain safe (if you don't spot the 'pre molt' signs) before offering a prey, check :)
indeed, i may need to rearrange this enclosure so i can check on the Tarantula more easily. right now the cork bark has just enough curve that even looking right into the tube you cant see the tarantula most of the time and i really would like to be able to see it from time to time

Charlie69

Arachnosquire
You allready removed the cricket. But in case someone else finds this thread. God idea to feed the cricket. A hungry cricket is more likely to chew on the t. Depends on how big the enclosure is, but maybe you can lure it away far enough so you can get it without disturbing the t to much.

Zepmaster

Arachnopeon
i cant see clearly but looking into the tube this morning i could see movement i think everything is ok