Molting by age?

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
How often do Tarantulas Molt? All I know is they molt a lot in youth and then less as adults.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
This all depends on the following:
-Temperature
-How often they're fed
-Species

There isn't a set rule to how often spiders molt, there's a 'very rough' guideline that someone could tell you by their experience depending on the species, but that wouldn't be all that helpful

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
Other than species and feeding, how do those other things contribute exactly?

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Other than species and feeding, how do those other things contribute exactly?
Temperature speeds up their metabolism meaning they could eat more and then grow faster. And then each spider has their own individual genes which dictates how fast they can grow. Males grow faster and mature earlier than females as well.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This all depends on the following:
-Temperature
-How often they're fed
-Species

There isn't a set rule to how often spiders molt, there's a 'very rough' guideline that someone could tell you by their experience depending on the species, but that wouldn't be all that helpful

One item you forgot, the quality of prey item, eg high fat prey items vs low fat. Slings grow faster on the former. I ran a pilot experiment on this.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
faster grower = LP, will out live you before its full grown = Brachypelma smithi. but yeah species is main factor, temp can help too, adding water to a T won't make it grow faster you would be thinking of a plant.

moshpitpanda

Arachnosquire
I have always assumed small slings to be maybe a few months old since I'm sure people are buying them up from breeders . Other than that I dont think there is anyway to know unless you have had them since birth

boina

Lady of the mites
Fast growers, like A. geniculata, usually molt regularly every few months at least until subadult/adult, then molt 1x year.

Slow growers, like most Brachypelma, usually slow down to molting once a year at the juvenile stage already. Fully adult they often molt only every 2 or more years.

Mind you, this is a very general guideline and your mileage may vary depending on all the factors already discussed.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I can attest to temperature and frequency/quality of feeding affecting growth.

I have always assumed small slings to be maybe a few months old since I'm sure people are buying them up from breeders . Other than that I dont think there is anyway to know unless you have had them since birth
I have 1" slings that are several years old because I keep them at room temperature (60-80F depending on the season). I feed primarily roaches that I raise (that are fed fresh fruits and veggies). Age is irrelevent for spiders, with the exception of when a male matured.

moshpitpanda

Arachnosquire
I can attest to temperature and frequency/quality of feeding affecting growth.

I have 1" slings that are several years old because I keep them at room temperature (60-80F depending on the season). I feed primarily roaches that I raise (that are fed fresh fruits and veggies). Age is irrelevent for spiders, with the exception of when a male matured.
I understand I mean when you buy it first from a breeder it may not be that old especially if the breeder is popular. I cant see them holding on to small slings for a year

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I understand I mean when you buy it first from a breeder it may not be that old especially if the breeder is popular. I cant see them holding on to small slings for a year
Some do, especially with the slow growing species like A. moderatum, A. bicoloratum, etc. As they get older their price increases as well, and if they're having trouble selling them, they'll just drop the price.

moshpitpanda

Arachnosquire
Some do, especially with the slow growing species like A. moderatum, A. bicoloratum, etc. As they get older their price increases as well, and if they're having trouble selling them, they'll just drop the price.
Well shows how much I know! The mystery of my sling's age increases!

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I am a breeder... The slings I posted about are ones I produced. I'll hold onto slings however long it takes, and I also hold some back to grow out and sell sexed at 2-3".

cold blood

Staff member
I am a breeder... The slings I posted about are ones I produced. I'll hold onto slings however long it takes, and I also hold some back to grow out and sell sexed at 2-3".
Same here.

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
So when a T goes into Pre-molt how long on average will they stay in Pre-molt? Does that change with age too?

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
So when a T goes into Pre-molt how long on average will they stay in Pre-molt? Does that change with age too?
the species is a very important factor, my B smithi has been in premolt for a month an has refused food continuously, while my H. pulchripes was only premolt for a week then molted fine and happy.