Molting A. Gigas Questions

aveidel

Arachnopeon
Hi!

I just got a 2 1/2 year old A. gigas in the mail. 3 days after I got the milipede, I began to suspect it was getting ready to molt (side question: do milipedes stress molt? I was wondering if shipping stress could trigger a molt). On the 4th day, it buried itself under a piece of rotten wood where I could still observe it through a tiny gap in the dirt. On day 5 dirt was kicked up around the log, blocking my view, which I'm assuming is from the construction of a molting cell. It's been two weeks since then, and I haven't seen it since. I'm not super worried about it, since I've heard molting can take a while, but I would love to know if there are any signs I should watch for that something has gone awry. Is there a period of time that would be considered "too long" where I should remove the wood and check things out? This is my first milipede, so I'm trying not to be an over-attentive newb ;) Thanks!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Hi!

I just got a 2 1/2 year old A. gigas in the mail. 3 days after I got the milipede, I began to suspect it was getting ready to molt (side question: do milipedes stress molt? I was wondering if shipping stress could trigger a molt). On the 4th day, it buried itself under a piece of rotten wood where I could still observe it through a tiny gap in the dirt. On day 5 dirt was kicked up around the log, blocking my view, which I'm assuming is from the construction of a molting cell. It's been two weeks since then, and I haven't seen it since. I'm not super worried about it, since I've heard molting can take a while, but I would love to know if there are any signs I should watch for that something has gone awry. Is there a period of time that would be considered "too long" where I should remove the wood and check things out? This is my first milipede, so I'm trying not to be an over-attentive newb ;) Thanks!
AGBs are great millipedes! Mine stay under for weeks at a time. Usually they are laying eggs, but if yours is that young, that wouldn't be happening. Sounds like molting. Can you post a pic? Sometimes, too, they go under if they are too dry.

LisaMP

Arachnopeon
Hi, I don't want to hijack this thread, but saw it was a recent one, and also have a molt question about A. gigas.

About 2 months ago I managed to obtain 3 2.5 yr old ccbs. Set them up in their new viv, they promptly dug under (same hour they arrived) and I hadn't seen them since, not even coming up for food. For 2 months. I've been wondering if they were dead or alive. Now I'm kicking myself. A LOT. This evening I started going through the substrate, one layer at a time with a soft, flexible rubber kitchen spatula and about 4" down found one curled up. I was trying to be so gentle...I started to run my finger around the curled milli to clear away the substrate, and heard a horrible "crunch". It was sooo soft from obviously molting, I put a crack in the exoskeleton between segments mid-body. It leaked some yellow fluid, never uncurled, did move around a bit, so I know it was still alive. I gently flushed the injury with some very dilute chlorahexadine solution and replaced it about 2" down in the substrate, moist spagnum moss below and on top of it to keep the substrate out of the crack. Soooooo, my big question: Did I kill it? Does anyone have any experience with this sort of injury? Think it will heal? I've read of millipedes surviving exoskeleton injuries and repairing over subsequent molts, but, CRAP.

I guess I'll be giving the tank the sniff test for a while. I sure as heck won't be digging around for the other 2. :(
Thanks in advance for any and all input.

aveidel

Arachnopeon
Sorry, I guess my email notifications were going to spam :/ I finally got the nerve to dig around and check things out. I found my milipede a couple weeks ago and he looked healthy, but I didn't see any signs of molting besides the big cell it made. It's still stayed underground since then, with no signs of emergence (I light covered all of his exit holes from before with substrate so I could tell if he has been surfacing at night). Since it had been a couple weeks, I just checked on him today. It's blacks look a little "bluer" than I remember, but it's been awhile, so I really can't tell if he's molting. Since he looks the same as last time, I'm thinking not. I finally got some pictures this time. I'd love to get your opinion on whether I can start playing with it again; I miss her a lot!

My setup:

IMAG0086.jpg

The lighting is poor in the terrarium corner, but this picture kinda shows the blueness I noticed in the black banding. The picture doesn't show it well, but most of the divot in the substrate is part of the cell.

IMAG0121.jpg

aveidel

Arachnopeon
Hi, I don't want to hijack this thread, but saw it was a recent one, and also have a molt question about A. gigas.

About 2 months ago I managed to obtain 3 2.5 yr old ccbs. Set them up in their new viv, they promptly dug under (same hour they arrived) and I hadn't seen them since, not even coming up for food. For 2 months. I've been wondering if they were dead or alive. Now I'm kicking myself. A LOT. This evening I started going through the substrate, one layer at a time with a soft, flexible rubber kitchen spatula and about 4" down found one curled up. I was trying to be so gentle...I started to run my finger around the curled milli to clear away the substrate, and heard a horrible "crunch". It was sooo soft from obviously molting, I put a crack in the exoskeleton between segments mid-body. It leaked some yellow fluid, never uncurled, did move around a bit, so I know it was still alive. I gently flushed the injury with some very dilute chlorahexadine solution and replaced it about 2" down in the substrate, moist spagnum moss below and on top of it to keep the substrate out of the crack. Soooooo, my big question: Did I kill it? Does anyone have any experience with this sort of injury? Think it will heal? I've read of millipedes surviving exoskeleton injuries and repairing over subsequent molts, but, CRAP.

I guess I'll be giving the tank the sniff test for a while. I sure as heck won't be digging around for the other 2. :(
Thanks in advance for any and all input.
So sorry to hear about your incident! Any update?

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Sorry, I guess my email notifications were going to spam :/ I finally got the nerve to dig around and check things out. I found my milipede a couple weeks ago and he looked healthy, but I didn't see any signs of molting besides the big cell it made. It's still stayed underground since then, with no signs of emergence (I light covered all of his exit holes from before with substrate so I could tell if he has been surfacing at night). Since it had been a couple weeks, I just checked on him today. It's blacks look a little "bluer" than I remember, but it's been awhile, so I really can't tell if he's molting. Since he looks the same as last time, I'm thinking not. I finally got some pictures this time. I'd love to get your opinion on whether I can start playing with it again; I miss her a lot!

My setup:

View attachment 245752

The lighting is poor in the terrarium corner, but this picture kinda shows the blueness I noticed in the black banding. The picture doesn't show it well, but most of the divot in the substrate is part of the cell.

View attachment 245753
Are you feeding any fresh foods? If you slice an apple really thin, you might interest him in coming up to eat. If he's staying under, either he is molting or something isn't right with humidity or temp. That's just a guess. But I wouldn't force him up.

aveidel

Arachnopeon
I haven't been feeding any fresh foods; That's a good idea. Originally, I was waiting for mites and mold to balance themselves out before I started adding foods, but it shouldn't be a problem now. I sliced up some cucumber and laid it in the terrarium.

The ambient temperature in the room is usually around 69-71F. I don't have anything measuring humidity, but I've been misting every couple of days and adding a little extra water to the corners of the tank every week or two. Things don't look overly wet, but I don't think it's dry.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I haven't been feeding any fresh foods; That's a good idea. Originally, I was waiting for mites and mold to balance themselves out before I started adding foods, but it shouldn't be a problem now. I sliced up some cucumber and laid it in the terrarium.

The ambient temperature in the room is usually around 69-71F. I don't have anything measuring humidity, but I've been misting every couple of days and adding a little extra water to the corners of the tank every week or two. Things don't look overly wet, but I don't think it's dry.
I keep my AGB at 74-78. I think 71 is pretty cool for them. Won't hurt for short periods but not optimal. I have an under tank heater mounted above the soil line on the side.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Do you have an under tank heater model that you recommend?
I just use the Zoo Med. It isn't a fabulous brand, but I haven't found one better. On a very large plastic bin, I use the medium sized one; but for a 10 gallon I am sure the 7-8 W small size would be fine.