Molt!

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My juvenile Selenobrachys philippinus has just flipped onto its back. I knew it was going to molt since it had gone from orange to brown to almost black in the last few days. It's two in the morning here already but I'm staying up to catch the entire process!

Sorry about the quality; I am definitely not about to lift the plastic cover!

I will post more pictures as the molt progresses.

Last edited:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Absolutely fascinating to watch.

That's it for now; I'm off to bed.

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im just curious, Did you move the tarantula into that ICU looking container for its molt? Why not let it do it peacefully in its enclosure? or was this solely for photographing the process?

Great pictures!

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Darn, I was hoping it was a formosa molt. lol
Lol I'm still waiting, but she's probably not too far away now.

Im just curious, Did you move the tarantula into that ICU looking container for its molt? Why not let it do it peacefully in its enclosure? or was this solely for photographing the process?

Great pictures!
Yeah, I moved the spider in there temporarily, so I could take pictures once it molted. I've done the same thing before and I think they molt more easily on damp paper towels. It is all only temporary anyway.

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
id love to do that with my 6.5 inch ornata but id be afraid of stressing her out too much. Would make for an amazing photo-op though

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
id love to do that with my 6.5 inch ornata but id be afraid of stressing her out too much. Would make for an amazing photo-op though
I am quite certain it would all go through without a hitch. In fact, adult spiders are much more tolerant of stress than slings, so if my sling did fine I don't see why your ornata wouldn't. Also, I did the same thing with my adult female OBT a couple of months ago.

Anyway, a couple more pictures: