1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

molt question

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Joeyo, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Joeyo

Joeyo Arachnosquire Old Timer

i came home today to find my avic molted again. shes in a very tight space with her exuvium right now. should i try to remove it with some tweezers?
  2. jdcarrel

jdcarrel Arachnobaron Old Timer

I would leave it alone for at least a day. You don't want to damage the spider. I have had my p. regalis molt 4 times in his hide. It was fine when not bothered with for a day or two. If you think you can get it without damaging the spider then you might try, but be careful.
  3. Joeyo

ok, i got it. shes right by the lid and the exuvium was between me and teh spider. i just slid the lid open enough to reach in with some tweezers and get the exuvium. she barely moved at all when i did it.
  4. Joeyo

also, how long do i wait before i feed her again?
  5. Nick_schembri

Nick_schembri Arachnobaron Old Timer

You should wait untill the fangs darken. They are still probably white or pink. 3 days is usually safe but it depends on the T
  6. Joeyo

i'll wait the 3 days then. i can't see her fangs, but i'll wait it out.
  7. becca81

becca81 Arachnoemperor Old Timer

3 days is the absolute minimum and I really recommend more. For sub-adults and adults I usually wait 1-2 weeks, depending on the T. Even my slings take at least 3 days to harden up (typically).

The spider won't eat until it's ready to eat again. If it has webbed itself in, then it'll come out when it's ready. The fangs should be completely black before you try to feed it, which may be hard to see.
  8. red knee1

red knee1 Arachnopeon

too short wait longer