Molt part is stuck. Can I help to get it off?

Angela Bucciarelli

Arachnopeon
I just got home and noticed that my mexican redknee had molted. She is now three and a half inches. After making sure the molting was succesful she got disturbed by the flashlight and moved a little bit. Then I realized that the top part of her abdomen was still stuck to the molt and it dragged along her as she moved.

I belive she'll get it off herself, but can I help her somehow? Should I lightly mist the entrance of her hide to rise up the humidity? If I don't help will this cause her any harm? Could she die?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It will probably come off on its own. I'm always reluctant to touch a newly molted Theraphosid. I'd wait and see, if it doesn't come off you could try to soften it up with a wet q-tip.

Georgia B

Arachnosquire
I would leave it for a couple days to see if she gets it off herself. Then if she doesn’t, CAREFULLY cut off some of the excess moult so she doesn’t have to drag the whole thing around all the time. The remainder that is still stuck to her will come off next time she moults.

Do others concur?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If it is on top of the abdomen I wouldnt worry.

It may fall off soon. If not it isnt in a dangerous area

boina

Lady of the mites
Uh... ok, I'm not a very patient person... in a similar situation I've used a very soft wet brush (for aquarell painting, unused, of course), to gently moisten the stuck molt and then brush it off... You can try that, but you don't need to. It will probably come off by itself after a while.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It'll probably just come off on its own, you can dab it with a wet cotton swab to soften it and then gently pull it away.

I wouldn't bother misting, it's next to useless for raising humidity and just annoys the tarantula.