Molt in burrow?

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
So, my little a. seemanni BCF juvie molted a few days ago and still has their hide/entrance to their burrow system sealed off.

The molt should be fine in there right? I don’t want to destroy all of the spider’s hard work and stress it. It’s probably drag it out anyway if it didn’t want it around, right?

krequiem

Arachnopeon
So, my little a. seemanni BCF juvie molted a few days ago and still has their hide/entrance to their burrow system sealed off.

The molt should be fine in there right? I don’t want to destroy all of the spider’s hard work and stress it. It’s probably drag it out anyway if it didn’t want it around, right?
Right. I've had a couple of spiders I didn't even know molted until they tossed their molts out of their burrow, long after they'd hardened. It'll be fine. :-D

Feel Camile

Arachnopeon

It's funny I see this because we were dealing with this same situation with our Socotra island blue baboon T. He had been m.i.a. We would only know he's alive because we wake up to webbing in different locations. Anyways he stopped eating so we got a little concerned. I felt the same way as far as not ruining his awesome setup he made for sooooo long! We finally broke down after at least a month or 2, and pulled back his house creation lol, and there he was, happy as ever next to his molt. We have no idea how long it's even been in there. It could be months. So I did take it out but now we make jokes saying that he went crazy after the molt being in there so long, thinking it was his friend talking to it, and named it Joe. Like, "hey man, whats up with these politics" and now he misses him. "Why'd yall take Joe!?"
Your T will be fine lol.

Brachyfan

Deactivated account
My B albopilosum has molted 3 times in my care. The first one was witnessed (vertical molt) but the other two were done in his burrow. He chews his molts up and spreads them around his burrow (biological defense from the hairs). Before he molts he will drag various bits and bobs out of his burrow and leaves them in a pile for me to clean up. One time I found 2 of his legs and hollowed out black mealworm!

Feel Camile

Arachnopeon
My B albopilosum has molted 3 times in my care. The first one was witnessed (vertical molt) but the other two were done in his burrow. He chews his molts up and spreads them around his burrow (biological defense from the hairs). Before he molts he will drag various bits and bobs out of his burrow and leaves them in a pile for me to clean up. One time I found 2 of his legs and hollowed out black mealworm!
Lol, tarantulas are so entertaining. They all have different personalities and do different things just like people. So funny.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
My Orange Bob’s hide is carpeted and wall papered with several molts. I got it (notice “it”) when it was about 1”. It’s now about 4” and I have never seen an exuvia, hence the “it”.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
My Orange Bob’s hide is carpeted and wall papered with several molts. I got it (notice “it”) when it was about 1”. It’s now about 4” and I have never seen an exuvia, hence the “it”.
Well, I’ve never been able to grab a moult from my H. pulchripes! And last time my P metallica moulted she decided to literally chew her moult into about 200 pieces! I kid you not, I swear it was on purpose. Just once I’d like an intact moult from her so I can display it nicely.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Ah yes the age old frustration of exuvia extraction. Found a handfull of molts in my OBTs old enclosure when i rehoused her, some were "okay" while the rest is destroyed lol. For me, i wait until the spider opened it's den and then i gently take out the exuvia. Minimum stress for the spider, and a much higher chance of getting a perfect exuvia

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It'll either chuck it out or incorporate it into the burrow, it won't mould or anything (even in a moist enclosure, I've never retrieved a moult from my H. gigas or O. aureotibialis).

Tuisto

Arachnosquire
Fossorial species tend to interweave it into their burrow, which I think is pretty cool but annoying if you need a molt for sexing. My balfouri has finally emerged from its burrow after a molt, starting to get those blue legz.

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Fossorial species tend to interweave it into their burrow, which I think is pretty cool but annoying if you need a molt for sexing. My balfouri has finally emerged from its burrow after a molt, starting to get those blue legz.
I DO NEED IT FOR SEXING

Kitara

Arachnodemon
My GBB is in premolt and still has the last molt in there. If I try to take it she gets mad so I gave up and just let it stay.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

You know, helicopter parents are a real source of entertainment here.

Are you concerned for the molt's life? It's not alive. :smug:

Ask yourself this question - what would happen in the wild, and if you don't know the answer, simply observe nature in captivity. You MUST know this kind of thing happens in the wild right? without humans around to service their every need...RIGHT?:rolleyes:

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
You know, helicopter parents are a real source of entertainment here.

Are you concerned for the molt's life? It's not alive. :smug:

Ask yourself this question - what would happen in the wild, and if you don't know the answer, simply observe nature in captivity. You MUST know this kind of thing happens in the wild right? without humans around to service their every need...RIGHT?:rolleyes:
Yeah, I know it must happen all of the time in the wild.

I never claimed to not be overly concerned.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, I know it must happen all of the time in the wild.

I never claimed to not be overly concerned.
So I'm curious, if you know this happens in the wild, why do you think your animal, which has been around longer than humans on the planet, needs your intervention to survive in this type situation?

What critical thinking and basic biology led you to think "my T may need my help"?