Moldy fruit in cricket enclosure

Darth Molt

Arachnosquire
so I only have 10 crickets in a vented Tupperware but today I found two pieces of moldy pineapple that I must have missed when cleaning. my question is are the crickets infected and no good for my Tarantulas?

cold blood

Staff member
In the future, dont use fruit/veggie that hold too moch moisture...theyre very prone to molding and rotting.

Carrots, potato, sweet potato and apple are my staple feeder feed along with oats and dog kibble.

Darth Molt

Arachnosquire
In the future, dont use fruit/veggie that hold too moch moisture...theyre very prone to molding and rotting.

Carrots, potato, sweet potato and apple are my staple feeder feed along with oats and dog kibble.
Yeah the pineapples were pretty wet. I will definitely try the carrots and potatoes along with some delicious dog kibble! Lol. Thanks for the information!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You don't even have to give them fruit/veg tbh, they do perfectly fine on a mix of oatmeal and fish food + water crystals to keep them hydrated, hardly had any deaths and absolutely no mould at all.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
You don't even have to give them fruit/veg tbh, they do perfectly fine on a mix of oatmeal and fish food + water crystals to keep them hydrated, hardly had any deaths and absolutely no mould at all.
Never needed water crystals myself, I just dampen the greens every now and again...crickets require very little moisture. Too much moisture will actually kill them quicker then anything else.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Never needed water crystals myself, I just dampen the greens every now and again
Yeah, but you're using a food source that already contains moisture, I'd rather just give them dry food and a separate source of water and top either up as needed.

Too much moisture will actually kill them quicker then anything else.
Too little usually results in cannibalism though.

cold blood

Staff member
My crickets get a water dish...fill it with a couple pebbles and you are good to go....they drink a lot...they molt in the dish on the pebbles, this need for moisture when molting is likely why they drown so often in deeper water dishes as there is no other standing water in t enclosures generally.

I do put in a piece of fruit or vegetable, but they really do seem to greatly prefer the oats and kibble....they go nuts for the stuff.

I've never once seen cannibalism with banded crickets.

Last edited: