1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mold or fungi?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by RedVelvet, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    Hi, everyone. I don't know if this has been posted before, but I need a professional's opinion. Is this mold, or fungus? My A. geniculata is currently flipped over and I don't have a clue when this stuff came around, but I'd like to get rid of whatever it is. I also need to know the correct course of action to get rid of it. 20190210_203934.jpg
    20190210_203938.jpg
    20190210_203940.jpg
    Here she is flipped over, as well.
    20190210_203958.jpg

2. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking Active Member

Just pick it out, no big deal.

@boina should be able to help with identification.

3. I'm not so worried about it hurting her, but I also wanted to know if adding springtails would be beneficial.

4. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

When you see mold or fungus growing on the surface of the substrate, just use a spoon and scoop off a thin layer then discard. No need for springtails or isopods or other detritivores.

5. TBH, I'm not sure how far down into the substrate it is. I really need to change out the sub in most, if not all of my enclosures because I used some Miracle grow brand peat moss and just recently found out that the fertilizer balls in it are a big no-no. I need to get a paycheck so I can get a ton of organic, non additive stuff and mix it together for each individual specimen that I have so that the mold doesn't happen again.

6. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

Mold and/ or fungus is inevitable in all enclosures where you need to keep the substrate damp. You can try all sorts of different soils and mixtures, but it won't matter. It isn't harmful to the tarantula so all you really need to do is take out the areas you can see it growing. Drying out the enclosure every once in a while will also help.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Alrighty, I guess since it's inevitable, I'll just wait until she's hardened up enough and remove it.

8. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

I don't even bother removing any sort of mold/fungi/whatever, but if you find it super insightly then it can be done. Absolutely do not disturb the T whilw it is flipped.

9. MissouriArachnophile

MissouriArachnophile Arachnoknight

Did it finish molting already? If it has additives I would stick with your plan of replacing it.

10. I don't plan on it. I'd like to not lose her.

11. She's a good 3.5", so I doubt she'll have finished by now. She flipped around three hours ago.

12. MissouriArachnophile

MissouriArachnophile Arachnoknight

Ya I was just wondering had a a. seemani take it's time earlier today started before 10 didn't finish till 3. But I dont know if they didn't notice you stated been it had miracle grow in it was one reason you were going to replace the sub.

13. Yeah, I've been meaning to change all my enclosures that has the MG peat moss in them with some peat moss that doesn't have any additives. I've got 35, and all but 5 or 6 of them I've mixed the sub with that peat moss.

14. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoprince Active Member

USA
    Spring tails should help to minimize the fungi (though i think they work better as a preventative than a fix) but i would leave everything as is until she finishes her molt.

i would say any predominantly moist enclosure would benefit from having spring tails.

15. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoangel Old Timer

You actually dont have to do anything. I would say it is totally harmless! Biological material like soil and peat always gave fungus spores in it. It is not gonna hurt your T! But if you want, just pick it out as stated!

16. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

I keep springtails in any enclosure that will support them, just pick out any large bits of mould if they bother you that much, they won't harm the T though.

17. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Sorry, but that thread title made me facepalm. Mold = fungus. What exactly were you asking?

Anyways, it's a mold and a fungus, because every mold is a fungus, and it's harmless. Personally I like springtails, other's don't, so it's basically up to you.

18. So, I never learned that mold is a type of fungus. I used to mushrooms being called fungus. That being said, I now know what it is, mold and will change it the substrate when she's fully hardened up.

19. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Why?? You have a whole thread of people telling you it's harmless and not to do anything much and now you want to change the substrate?

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. The peat moss I used is Miracke grow brand and it has fertilizer balls. I don't want those, as told by someone who held my bugs for a few weeks while I moved.