Mold killer you could try

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Weird Science <pat pend>.
Over at an associates house I came across about a 20 gallon fish tank. It was about as funky as it could get. Some dirt on the bottom, standing water at one end, partly filled with trash and probably a good sampling of all the common mold and fungi in the country growing in it including small white shrooms.

I set it out in the full sun where it wouldn't be messed with and covered it with a piece of sheet metal. That night I got to thinking this could be an interesting experiment.
So the next day I went back, put an oven thermometer inside, painted the sheet metal flat black and weighted it down so there weren't much air gaps.

A couple of days later in mid afternoon, partly cloudy all day, I went back. The thermometer read around 210-220F.
So it's sat out in the yard there for about 10 days. All visible molds, fungi and mildew are gone, along with the odor of anaerobes.

At a guess, if you've got full sunlight, some sheet metal, flat black spray paint and say, 3 days you can live without your tank, turn it into a solar oven. No need to disturb anything in the tank I don't think. Only certain rare and most likely harmless spores would be likely top survive. The heat would probably penetrate woody materials at least 1 inch, possibly 2 or 3.

As an afterthought, the water in the tank, maybe a half pint, probably assisted the heat penetration, evaporating during the middle of the day and condensing back to liquid at night, maintaining 100% humidity which aids atmospheric thermal conductivity.

Last edited:

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
Thats a interesting idea.
I once had mold in a small plastic-enclosure and I just put it into the microwave (without the spider of Course) and once I got it out and had it cool down, I added springtails, isopods (to eat the dead mold) and the spider and voila, the tank was completely mold-free for five months.
So I think a microwave could also do it for smaller enclosures, but having bigger enclosures bake themselves in the sun also is a great idea.

The Snark

Old Timer
As long as everything in the enclosure is heated to 160F, about 72C, for around 20 minutes, all common molds and their spores should die. If using a microwave, and you have the room, use one of those hats that covers the food dish or enclosure, and add some water to the enclosure. Sort of a 1 PSI autoclave that would accelerate the kill time to 2-3 minutes. This would penetrate all permeable materials. Remember, without a medium like steam to convey the heat, microwave ovens don't heat uniformly.

The Snark

Old Timer
Do they die, or just go dormant
With temp held above 160 F for five minutes with at least 50% humidity, the spores die.
The primary problem is thermal conductivity. Materials like wood are insulators and it will take longer periods of time for the heat to penetrate.

Last edited: