Mold is irritating

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Eulers, you say you shouldn't change substrate, I say you can.
Of course "you can", man. In life at one moment or another, "you can" almost into everything.

Think, there's a folk I know out there that, saying always "Yes We Can", managed to become President :)

In Veneto (my neighbours, a region of Northern Italy where Venezia is located) dialect, on the other hand "can" means "dog, in English.

Sometimes the locals, when pissed off but also even for nothing, after the word "Dio" (God, in English) they add "can" :angelic:

So if you guys are in Venezia one day and hear someone screaming "Dio" and "can" just after, now you know the meaning :rofl:

Joking and moment of utmost culture aside :pompous: you need to take in consideration that, in the case of adult 'obligate burrowers' T's, doing that is the best way for have a stressed Theraphosidae.

I was forced once (due to a crappy but crappy set up) to rehouse a female M.robustum given to me for free... bugger needed almost two months for settle again. To move those kind of T's "every three months" is definitely not wrong, but more.

boina

Lady of the mites
Some people don't like to be proven wrong is all. Don't need to face arguments...I can also show facts that can justify my opinion. I can have 100 dislikes but it doesn't disprove what I have seen with my own eyes. So sorry about that.:cool:
You don't even keep tarantulas but you know better what they need than the tarantula keeper??

Some people have a rather overblown confidence in their own knowledge... and they don't even face the arguments because they are so afraid of their opinion not holding up.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Of course "you can", man. In life at one moment or another, "you can" almost into everything.

Think, there's a folk I know out there that, saying always "Yes We Can", managed to become President :)

In Veneto (my neighbours, a region of Northern Italy where Venezia is located) dialect, on the other hand "can" means "dog, in English.

Sometimes the locals, when pissed off but also even for nothing, after the word "Dio" (God, in English) they add "can" :angelic:

So if you guys are in Venezia one day and hear someone screaming "Dio" and "can" just after, now you know the meaning :rofl:

Joking and moment of culture aside :pompous: you need to take in consideration that, in the case of adult 'obligate burrowers' T's, doing that is the best way for have a stressed Theraphosidae.

I was forced once (due to a crappy but crappy set up) to rehouse a female M.robustum given to me for free... bugger needed almost two months for settle again. To move those kind of T's "every three months" is definitely not wrong, but more.
Effing thank you! People here are like: My Way Or The Highway. There's no way you can't change substrate, nope, not ever. People rehouse and change substrates all the time. So I don't why these people are like "NOPE! Thanks for the lollipop too, lol.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Effing thank you! People here are like: My Way Or The Highway. There's no way you can't change substrate, nope, not ever. People rehouse and change substrates all the time. So I don't why these people are like "NOPE! Thanks for the lollipop too, lol.
There is simply no reason to change the substrate.

Don't make this into a "AB people are mean" rant.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You don't even keep tarantulas but you know better what they need than the tarantula keeper??

Some people have a rather overblown confidence in their own knowledge... and they don't even face the arguments because they are so afraid of their opinion not holding up.
@xunicronx
I'm ready for the proof you say you have on this subject. Please cite your papers and articles.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=changing+tarantula+substrate

Here you go, everyone in the tarantula section of arachnoboards can get pretty butt hurt easily.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So here's proof people transfer and change substrates. Anything else? I'm waiting for the "Yeah, but, but, but"

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Effing thank you!

You're welcome!

People rehouse and change substrates all the time.
People do a great many things. People start with OBTs, keep communal colonies, used divided tanks, pick up moulting Ts, utilize ICUs, throw away Ts on their backs since they think they died, handle their Ts carelessly in their hands 4 feet above the floor, keep their Ts on aquarium rocks or sawdust, overfeed and cause their T to fast for months, use heat mats or heat lamps, etc.. Just because people do something isn't proof it's correct.

No one here, who has successfully kept tarantulas on the same substrate for years, is going to suddenly start changing their substrate every three months no matter how hard you argue for it or quote others who argue for it. It it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
So here's proof people transfer and change substrates. Anything else? I'm waiting for the "Yeah, but, but, but"
The source you posted was a list of vids proving that people do change out substrate. But that was not the question. You stated to refresh the substrate every three months, regardless of it being molded over, pests or just totally clean. That is what other members disagree with you about, not because you can never change out substrate, but how often and why people should change it.

Miscommunication I think ;)

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have proven my point. I showed you my proof. Now show me yours. Show me how changing substrate like twice a year is stressful. Show me. It's not as bad as a tarantula being shipped via airplane across the Atlantic Ocean. Let me know how changing substrate is that bad.

boina

Lady of the mites
No, not yeah, but. Of course you can. It doesn't make it a good idea, though. And I don't know if you read Chris post to the end, but even he stated that it was a bad idea. And I really am not even deigning this youtube nonsense with a further thought. I like my evidence to be more solid than that.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
So here's proof people transfer and change substrates.
Without entering in those video-link (btw I've spotted an 'Eric Bana' thumbnail as well, ah ah) detailed, that's more of a substrate 'compendium', in general.

Which kind of substrate, how to prepare that (in the case of coco fiber "bricks") and something like that.

For instance, I always change the substrate (no matter) when I have to re-house, cage upgrade, whatever. Yeah I don't use the "old substrate", screw that, is dirt and not gold dust we are talking about. With that said, I add the former fake leaves, cork bark & web etc in the new one.

But I tell you, if nothing "happened", there's absolutely no reasons for change completely the substrate, let alone every three/four months. Nothing that normal routine cleaning can't resolve.

Anyway, as I've said, certain T's especially (like 'obligate burrowers') would not like, but not like at all, that.

They put lot of efforts for create a burrow and for burrow again, especially as adults.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Youtube?????????? Your proof that your advice is good is Youtube? Where's that emoji for openmouthed bafflement?
I DO find YouTube to be informative and full of great useful information for everything. I will continue to use it for whatever I need.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Without entering in those video-link (btw I've spotted an 'Eric Bana' thumbnail as well, ah ah) that's more of a 'compendium'.

Which kind of substrate, how to prepare that (in the case of coco fiber "bricks") and something like that.

For instance, I always change the substrate (no matter) when I have to re-house, cage upgrade, whatever. Yeah I don't use the "old substrate", screw that, is dirt and not gold dust we are talking about. With that said, I add the former fake leaves, cork bark & web etc in the new one.

But I tell you, if nothing "happened", there's absolutely no reasons for change completely the substrate, let alone every three/four months. Nothing that normal routine cleaning can't resolve.

Anyway, as I've said, certain T's especially (like 'obligate burrowers') would not like, but not like at all, that.

They put lot of efforts for create a burrow and for burrow again, especially as adults.

Exactly, for people here to say you can't do it is bs. I'm not hearing that stress bs either. Opening your lid to feed your tarantula or to look under it's hide to see if it's dead or molting, or cleaning out all of it's webs would also be considered stressful. Also, a lot of people put their slings in tiny containers and will transfer them a few times to bigger containers (probably once or twice a year) would also be considered stressful. But to say that you absolutely can't change the substrate only it's moldy and you can't change it for any other reason is just bs.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I DO find YouTube to be informative and full of great useful information for everything. I will continue to use it for whatever I need.
And that's why you think changing sub is a good idea for spiders. ;)

Seriously, even I find it hard to wade through the crap on YT. Most actual knowledgeable keepers have less than 1k subs.

boina

Lady of the mites
After a very short look through that list I could actually find NOT ONE video that tells you to change the substrate regularly. They all tell you how to set up a new enclosure, how to rehouse etc. The videos you posted don't even prove your point AT ALL! Did you even look at a single one of them?

The point is not that you can't change the substrate - of course you can. The point is you Should Not unless really necessary.