Mold is irritating

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
Checked on my P. irminia today and saw blue mold growing on its cork bark. Took the bark out and gave it a good scrub, letting it dry now.

Should I change out the substrate in the enclosure since it might have mold too? I don't see any visible but I want to be careful.

carterxwr

Arachnopeon
If there was only mold on the cork bark it's unlikely that there would be any mold on the substrate. As long as none is visible, you should be fine. Mold is irritating!

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If it's on the bark then it's probably on the substrate too. What is the humidity at? It may be a little too high. Allow for proper ventilation too. If it's been a while since you last changed the substrate, say three months or more, then it's time to change the substrate.

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
If it's on the bark then it's probably on the substrate too. What is the humidity at? It may be a little too high. Allow for proper ventilation too. If it's been a while since you last changed the substrate, say three months or more, then it's time to change the substrate.
I've only had the irminia for a week and I'd guess the humidity in the tank was 60%

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
What size is the spider? P. irminia are absolutely able to withstand a draught when they're juvies/adults, so if it's larger than 3", just let it dry out. Don't bother replacing the substrate, needless and stressful for the spider.

Mold isn't deadly unless you allow it to get way out of hand. In the future, I'd suggest heavily overflowing the water dish, letting the substrate dry out, and then overflow again. Rinse and repeat. This will prevent mold from ever being able to take hold.

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
What size is the spider? P. irminia are absolutely able to withstand a draught when they're juvies/adults, so if it's larger than 3", just let it dry out. Don't bother replacing the substrate, needless and stressful for the spider.

Mold isn't deadly unless you allow it to get way out of hand. In the future, I'd suggest heavily overflowing the water dish, letting the substrate dry out, and then overflow again. Rinse and repeat. This will prevent mold from ever being able to take hold.
My sling is only 1.5" right now and the rinse and repeat method is my usual modus operandi :)

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've only had the irminia for a week and I'd guess the humidity in the tank was 60%
Oh ok, mold spores was already on the bark then I guess. Hmm, you shouldn't have any mold though. Or, oooorrrrr, mold hitch hiked on the hairs of the tarantula from previous pet store/owner. So maybe the tarantulas previous owner had a wet moldy enclosure. If it happens again then throw the bark in the oven for 350/400 F for an hour or so.

Hmm, how exactly is replacing the substrate harmful again? I don't know how you or other people do it but replacing substrate isn't stressful, not when I do it. Tarantulas are shipped from all over the world and can take up to two weeks to arrive through harsh conditions. So putting a tarantula in a specimen container and transferring it to another enclosure is just as stressful? I'm scratching my head on this one and to say replacing the substrate is needless isn't entirely true. Is there something wrong with replacing the substrate every three months or so? Having the humidity fluctuate as you suggest would be more stressful to the tarantula. I'm all ears, and if you can give me your two cents and enlighten me then I'll probably agree with you.

Last edited:

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
Oh ok, mold spores was already on the bark then I guess. Hmm, you shouldn't have any mold though. Or, oooorrrrr, mold hitch hiked on the hairs of the tarantula from previous pet store/owner. So maybe the tarantulas previous owner had a wet moldy enclosure. If it happens again then throw the bark in the oven for 350/400 F for an hour or so.
I think the spores were on the corkbark I got from the pet store. I didn't think I'd have to bake the corkbark before I made the enclosure, so I just put it right in and a week later it was covered in mold.

Next time I buy CB from the store I'll bake it before I make the enclosure.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The kingdom Fungi is arguably the most biologically successful organism group on the planet. Their spores are everywhere - literally in every breath you take. Trying to fight mold is a losing battle, you can only delay it. Bake every piece of bark, it'll only kill whatever spores were there at the time. The bark will have come into contact with more spores by the time you walk it back over to the enclosure.

Hmm, how exactly is replacing the substrate harmful again? I don't know how you or other people do it but replacing substrate isn't stressful, not when I do it. Tarantulas are shipped from all over the world and can take up to two weeks to arrive through harsh conditions. So putting a tarantula in a specimen container and transferring it to another enclosure is just as stressful? I'm scratching my head on this one and to say replacing the substrate is needless isn't entirely true. Is there something wrong with replacing the substrate every three months or so? Having the humidity fluctuate as you suggest would be more stressful to the tarantula. I'm all ears, and if you can give me your two cents and enlighten me then I'll probably agree with you.
Tarantulas are effectively blind. Their world is perceived by vibration and chemoreceptors. When you replace the substrate, you have essentially given them an entirely new home to settle into. Many tarantulas take months to settle in, so replacing substrate every three months puts them into a never-ending state of trying to settle into a new home. It's not a matter of stressing out the spider by catching and transferring it, I'm talking about after the fact. As for humidity fluctuating, that's what happens whether you want it to or not. Weather and such.

I don't deny that shipping them is stressful, I'm not quite sure what point you were trying to make there. Just because one thing is more stressful and they survive means that anything short of intercontinental transit is acceptable husbandry?

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think the spores were on the corkbark I got from the pet store. I didn't think I'd have to bake the corkbark before I made the enclosure, so I just put it right in and a week later it was covered in mold.

Next time I buy CB from the store I'll bake it before I make the enclosure.

Yeah that's a good idea. What I do, I'll soak my wood/hides (my brother in law lives on farm acreage so I get all the free dead bark I want) in water overnight to leach out all of the "tannins". This is somewhat acidic brown stuff that comes out of the wood so it doesn't go all over your substrate when you mist your tarantula. I'll let them air dry, then I'll throw them in the oven. You might have microscopic spores in the substrate too and they could be air born. So I guess keep an eye on the substrate and gently mix it up every once in a while to air it out. Anaerobic bacteria can grow in the bottom if you don't air it out. You should change the substrate every once a while too, I don't care what anyone else says. Have some fresh substrate off to the side and just boil or bake the old substrate so you don't have to buy it all the time. Eventually you'll have to buy new substrate though, maybe like twice a year. That's like $10-$20 pfft big deal right?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

Replacing the substrate isn't necessary unless it's completely overrun with mold/mites or something along those lines. That's not the case here. Changing out the sub every three months is just going to needlessly stress out the spider.

That's why many members disagreed with your post, as changing the sub on a set schedule is not the way to go. It should be done on a NEED to do basis...

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
@xunicronx, leave tarantula advice to tarantula keepers. If I need advice on scorpions, I'll absolutely ask scorpion keepers.

You're giving bad advice to a new keeper that may not know better.

Realevil1

Arachnosquire
@MissHarlen My question would be *How* are you adding humidity? Spraying? misting? Fogging? Ambient room humidity?

From my personal experience, and especially with cork bark,
*direct spraying/misting* or damp conditions often leads to mold on fresh, unsterilized wood.
Like others have said, mold spores are literally everywhere.

When ever I have used cork bark or wood hides I avoid spraying or misting the wood directly and will make my best effort to direct it at the glass or any plants present.

Last edited:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Mould spores are a lot like mites -- millions of them everywhere, just waiting for the right conditions to thrive and colonize. I just rotate dampened area in enclosure so that one spot isn't always damp. I could start with everything sterile: enclosure, hide and substrate; but if conditions were favourable -- mould would start growing anyway. It's in the air -- waiting for a chance to colonize.
When I find a spot of moult forming -- I just let it dry out. Good ventilation is a must. It's also good to remove any bolus quickly in a dampened enclosure.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
@xunicronx, leave tarantula advice to tarantula keepers. If I need advice on scorpions, I'll absolutely ask scorpion keepers.

I disagree, my only intention is to help MissHarlan. Absolutely no ill will coming from me. MissHarlan, I'll PM you and show you many proofs that it is ok for you to change the substrate. These people are not including all of the information that you need to hear. Eulers, you say you shouldn't change substrate, I say you can. MissHarlan, you can see for yourself that it is in fact ok to change your substrate.

Last edited:

MissHarlen

Arachnosquire
@MissHarlen My question would be *How* are you adding humidity? Spraying? misting? Fogging? Ambient room humidity?

From my personal experience, and especially with cork bark,
*direct spraying/misting* or damp conditions often leads to mold on fresh, unsterilized wood.
Like others have said, mold spores are literally everywhere.

When ever I have used cork bark or wood hides I avoid spraying or misting the wood directly and will make my best effort to direct it at the glass or any plants present.
I use a pipette to put water directly into the sub and I also drip some down the wall

boina

Lady of the mites
I disagree, my only intention is to help MissHarlan. MissHarlan, I'll PM you and show you many proofs that it is ok for you to change the substrate. These people are not including all of the information that you need to hear. Eulers, you say you shouldn't change substrate, I say you can. MissHarlan, you can see for yourself that it is in fact ok to change your substrate.
This is getting ridiculous. Your opinion is absolutely the minority opinion here as all the 'disagrees' should have shown you. Nevertheless you insist and since you don't want to face the arguments you transfer your highly questionable teachings to PM??? If you think you know so much better than all the tarantula keepers here than why can't you face their arguments? It's not only EulersK that disagrees strongly with you.

@MissHarlen please leave the substrate alone. Mold is not harmful no matter what @xunicronx would like to make you believe and changing out the substrate regularly is much more damaging to your tarantula than a little mold.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Changing out the sub every three months is just going to needlessly stress out the spider.
+1
This.

I have never ever changed substrate in an established T enclosure. I only get out my bag of substrate if setting up a new enclosure. We have members here whose Ts have been on the same substrate for 15 years. It's basically dirt. Dirt doesn't go bad. If it gets mouldy -- dry it out and ventilate more.

OP already stated the mould was on her cork bark -- so it's not like she's reported mould throughout her substrate anyway.

Changing the substrate instead of changing the conditions that caused the problem is pure foolishness.

smh

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
I'll give you a completely different opinion: Sterilizing everything is actually the worst thing you can do. Mold spores, mites, flies etc. are everywhere and will land in your tarantula enclosure whatever you do. The German school of tarantula keeping teaches the following:

Get dirt from a wooded area from outside (no pesticides) and untreated wood and put it in your enclosure. You want every little critter that's in there, including mold spores, mites, and whatever. Using coco fiber substrate is highly frowned upon, because it's basically sterile out of the bag. You are setting up a kind of bioactive enclosure, but without the planning. Interestingly, there are rarely mold or mite outbreaks in those enclosures, if ever, because you get a natural balance. I like to do something like this in moist enclosures but use coco fiber substrate in dryer ones. And no, we don't have tarantula parasites around here, because we don't have tarantulas.

Jason Brantley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This is getting ridiculous. Your opinion is absolutely the minority opinion here as all the 'disagrees' should have shown you. Nevertheless you insist and since you don't want to face the arguments you transfer your highly questionable teachings to PM??? If you think you know so much better than all the tarantula keepers here than why can't you face their arguments? It's not only EulersK that disagrees strongly with you.

@MissHarlen please leave the substrate alone. Mold is not harmful no matter what @xunicronx would like to make you believe and changing out the substrate regularly is much more damaging to your tarantula than a little mold.
Some people don't like to be proven wrong is all. Don't need to face arguments...I can also show facts that can justify my opinion. I can have 100 dislikes but it doesn't disprove what I have seen with my own eyes. So sorry about that.:cool: