1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mold in my OBT sling enclosure -_-

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Beginnerxd, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Beginnerxd

Beginnerxd Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Yeah so there is mold in my OBT sling enclosure, i want to clean the mold but yesterday i decided to do it today but then it turns out that he molted last night, so should i actually try to rehouse her today or wait a week or a few days??

2. The Seraph

The Seraph Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    Mold itself is benign, but you should still rehouse as OBTs like bone dry substrate, and mold can only grow in moisture. Could you provide a picture of the whole enclosure and this mold.

3. Beginnerxd

Beginnerxd Arachnopeon Active Member

Its that blackish thing, easily noticable

Attached Files:

4. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

NOOOOOOOOOOO

It just molted—- DO RESEARCH on what you own or give it away jeez.

5. The Seraph

The Seraph Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    Oh, I didn't even catch that. Yeah, I would wait on rehousing as well.
    Hmm, does not look like any mold I have seen. How often are you watering it?

6. That looks like a swimming pool it's that wet immediate rehouse just moulted or not you will kill it in that dampness

7. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnolord Active Member

Iowa
    Sphagnum moss looks way too wet. P. murinus are a species that need to be kept dry, even as slings. Prolonged containment in a wet enclosure like that will eventually cause your sling to suffer and possibly die. Since it just molted, give it a couple days to harden up, and then rehouse it into an enclosure with dry substrate and something to act as a water dish such as a bottle cap. In the meantime, make sure your current setup has plenty of ventilation to allow it to dry out some.

For future reference, mold itself isnt an issue for a healthy T, but is an indicator that you're either keeping your enclosure too wet or without enough ventilation.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnolord Active Member

Even as tiny slings you keep these on bone dry sub?

9. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX ArachnoGod Active Member

It's always the same issue: wet substrate + poor ventilation = cause of death of many T's.

P.murinus are a species that, even as slings, needs a somewhat dry environment... especially if you live in an already hot and humid nation such Indonesia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnolord Active Member

Iowa
    Yes, more or less. I give them access to a water dish and fresh after a molt will just slightly overflow the waterdish/dribble a few droplets of water in their webbing. Other than that, substrate is kept completely dry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1