MM P. irnimia question..

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I received a MM a week or so ago and i think it is a bit older than I was told. He is really skinny and wont eat or make any sperm webs. Saturday night he dropped a leg and I looked again this morning he dropped a second. What should I do?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pair him as fast as possible... make sure to get your use out of him. thats what I WOULD do... hes on his way out, and isnt gonna regen those legs obviously so...

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hes been in with the female but shes not interested and hes not tapping at all or anything.

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
From what you have said sounds like whomever sent you the MM sent you a dud of a stud. Hope you didn't pay for him, if so I would contact the seller and see what they will do if anything. If it goes sour all you can do is post a bad review and not let it dampen your future dealings with other T dealers.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
From what you have said sounds like whomever sent you the MM sent you a dud of a stud. Hope you didn't pay for him, if so I would contact the seller and see what they will do if anything. If it goes sour all you can do is post a bad review and not let it dampen your future dealings with other T dealers.
How do you know he is a dud? Just because they haven't done anything yet doesn't mean they won't. If the OP left him in there and wasn't around the whole time, they could have very easily have paired up.

OP: Can you post a picture of the MM? What color is he? Can he still climb smooth surfaces? The answers to these questions will give us some sort of clue on his age.

OxDionysus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nah I don't pay for MM's. It was a friend of a friends. None of the Surfaces in the tank are smooth haha. here is a pic

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would say keep trying to pair them. Mature males mostly dont build another sperm web unless they have released atleast one of their emboli. And some individuals wont tap or eat at all. I agree he is older, but you still might get lucky with him. I got lucky with a mm that was about a year mature.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
dud or not, i like your outlook on the rest of your statement. cant let one bad experience spoil your whole outlook.... to the OP... keep on trying, sometimes things take time

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well,forget about posting a bad review or anything of those sorts as people had mentioned.A free male is a free male.As in "As IS"
That said,we have had Avicularia that were mature well over a year still do their job,and I know of some Psalmo's that have lasted for a LONG time and still been viable.Keep trying. As already mentioned you have NO idea what they are up to when you are not around.Best of luck!!

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
How do you know he is a dud? Just because they haven't done anything yet doesn't mean they won't. If the OP left him in there and wasn't around the whole time, they could have very easily have paired up.

OP: Can you post a picture of the MM? What color is he? Can he still climb smooth surfaces? The answers to these questions will give us some sort of clue on his age.
Yeah your right perfectly normal for a MM to arrive and have it's legs falling off and non receptive to the female... To the OP I am Just glad you didn't pay for him and good luck pairing him up my fingers are crossed for ya! He still is a handsome little bugger :)

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah your right perfectly normal for a MM to arrive and have it's legs falling off and non receptive to the female... To the OP I am Just glad you didn't pay for him and good luck pairing him up my fingers are crossed for ya! He still is a handsome little bugger :)
We have had a 2 week fresh irminia drop 2 legs and completely ignore 3 females.Crap happens.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Yeah your right perfectly normal for a MM to arrive and have it's legs falling off and non receptive to the female...
I didn't say it was normal for it's legs to be "falling off". They didn't fall off, the male removed them. Now, him being non receptive is a whole different story, it happens all the time. There's a lot of factors/variables why he is not going after the lady. But it doesn't mean he's a dud. Not all pairings go like you see in the videos. You don't see all the failed attempts. ;)

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
In response to advan... Your initial question to me was "How do you know he is a dud?" Technically neither of us can really answer that with 100% certainty as we are both not in possession of said male. I was basing that written remark/observation on the OP's 2 posts prior, which was all the info we had to go off from ie How legs were falling/removed whatever (semantics really as I am sure the legs were not removed by the male and gently placed where the OP found it, thus I am sure it fell a distance whatever that may have been) ;) and also how the MM is not responsive is a sign that he is no "stud" by the definition of the word. (Health, vitality and it's ability to reproduce successfully) You have to embody the whole thing to be labeled as such. He may still reproduce with his MF and I hope he does but you can hardly call him a stud anymore, perhaps a few months ago when he was more fresh and had all his appendages. Now when you said " If the OP left him in there and wasn't around the whole time, they could have very easily have paired up" is just speculation and can not be used to further your point, if that stands I could just as easily speculate in my favor... If you wish to continue this please just PM me as I am no longer going address this by filling this thread with anymore jibber jabber.

Cheers,

Chris

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
Dear OP, just let the male cohabit with the female for as long as he's alive. If he's cohabiting with the female when those legs dropped, he probably made an attempt at her. In any case, there's really not much you can do for that old male aside from letting him cohabit and possibly mate or become a snack for your future possibly gravid female. Otherwise, get a fresh male :p

I've done some unsupervised pairings and even if they get munched, they usually get the job done. Hey ~ its a free MM right?

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
Dear OP, just let the male cohabit with the female for as long as he's alive. If he's cohabiting with the female when those legs dropped, he probably made an attempt at her. In any case, there's really not much you can do for that old male aside from letting him cohabit and possibly mate or become a snack for your future possibly gravid female. Otherwise, get a fresh male :p

I've done some unsupervised pairings and even if they get munched, they usually get the job done. Hey ~ its a free MM right?
Nicely said :)