mm obt?

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hey everybody
we have an OBT that is about 3.5" and we got from the pet store locally about 4 months ago. we thought it was still young considering the size of our last OBT that was 5"+ (female!) not realizing that the males are smaller. anyway, for the last couple months hes been out running around the cage like an idiot, and he ate just a few days ago, and then out of nowhere puts down a bunch of new web and molts. we are afraid hes a MM and we're not sure really what to do. he's our first male T, all of our females are normal and havent changed since the day we got them so excuse me if i sound a little inexperienced, i am!

we looked for hooks but its really really hard to see and judging by previous posts on the forum they will be really really small. so what do you all think?

if it is a MM then we don't want him...just because we dont breed them and we dont want to see him die. so if someone is willing to trade us something or even take him off our hands for the cost of shipping plus a small handling fee :)rolleyes: ) then that would be awesome.

the first pic is him before the molt, maybe a month ago. the second pic is of the new web that more or less popped up over night.

Last edited:

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
are you being sarcastic or did you just not read the whole thing?

there is no need for rudeness.l I dont understand why you would get rid of a male T. Because you are afraid it will die? all Ts die. Because you dont want to breed them? you dont have to breed them if you dont want to.

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i dont think i was the one being rude, but anyway, we would just rather give him to someone who could let him "fulfill his duties" than let him sit here waiting to die, sorry, its just the way we prefer to do it. regardless, the question wasn't whether we should get rid of him or not, it was is he a mm and if so, who wants him.

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry if i was sounding rude, but im pretty sure to sex a T you need a picture of the underside near the booklungs.

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry if i was sounding rude, but im pretty sure to sex a T you need a picture of the underside near the booklungs.

we've already sexed it, its male. we just dont know if its a mature male looking for a mate.

also, and for anyone else that may be reading, how long after the last molt do we have until it dies?

Tunedbeat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You will need to try to locate these on him,
Male palps and hooks

If he is in fact matured, i could use him. :)

worm's girl

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks for the awesome picture. i would LOVE to get him to hold still long enough to snap a shot like that!

we may already have a taker but if he changes his mind i'll pm you.

thanks again for the cool pic

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
we've already sexed it, its male. we just dont know if its a mature male looking for a mate.
The picture above is awesome. If you can a shot, we may be able to help you out on whether or not he is mature.

also, and for anyone else that may be reading, how long after the last molt do we have until it dies?
If it was the ultimate molt, I've found that males of this species normally don't last too long - maybe a few months. If he's mature and you don't want to breed him, I'm sure someone will take him off your hands. Or, if you're interested in giving it a shot yourself, there is a lot of great breeding information on these forums to help you out. :)

Good luck!

Becca

Thrasher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am a little confused, did you sex it with its molt or by just looking at its belly and say its a male? For obt its pretty easy to tell if hes mature or not. And that does not look like a sperm web to me. But what do I know.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeh I was curious as well as how you sexed it male.
My OBT hooked out at about 3.5" as well so it is very possible it's mature.

Tusly69

Arachnopeon
Rusta my OBT was rehoused for tank cleaning and I think just matured.
He just over 3" amazed how small he matured. I have girl coming for him on few weeks.

IMG_3055.JPG IMG_2995.JPG

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
if it is a MM then we don't want him...just because we dont breed them and we dont want to see him die. so if someone is willing to trade us something or even take him off our hands for the cost of shipping plus a small handling fee :)rolleyes: ) then that would be awesome.
There's a few forums here for this situation, like http://arachnoboards.com/forums/invertsonals.27/ or in classifieds section here as a straight up sale or trade, etc..
But OBTs are plentiful in the trade and are common because they are so easy to breed. Several members here have even received them as sling freebies with T orders (which is not a good thing for newbies!)

I did want to commend your efforts to try to 'hook him up' when he's mature though. Kudos!

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
This thread was from 10 years ago so OP's MM is probably long gone lol! Hopefully he fulfilled his duty like she hoped.

@Tusly69 Gorgeous! Good luck. :)

Krystal Anne

Arachnosquire
ACK! I always fall for the necrothreads. And here I was trying to be so hard to be positive & supportive! lol
Lol, I was reading your comment like "Yes, so true, completely agree!!" then I went to check on OP for any updates and saw... Last Seen: 2008 :rofl: