MM OBT LOOSE IN MY BEDROOM. BEHAVIOR???

Lost Patient

Arachnopeon
You know, this is not braggadocio--I know if I got bitten it would be a horrible miserable experience, and I certainly hope that doesn't happen--but I grew up in Texas with lots of creepy crawlies as a fact of life. One just assumes there will be a tarantula or scorpion buried in your sweaters when you pull them down from the closet for the first time in the fall. You shake your shoes, and you shake your blankets. That's normal for me here in Arizona, too. I wonder how many people in Africa right now have obt's climbing around the vicinity, and they're okay. Heck, they often have black mambas and God knows what all slithering around in the rafters, and they don't lose sleep . One little spider versus me in this huge, busy room just doesn't seem very scary compared to losing a night's sleep. Maybe that's just the priorities of menopause talking. But no, there's not even a couch unoccupied elsewhere in the house. I hoard sleep like a miser hordes gold.

As it happens, I do have a mature female. She's a brand new edition. I shall put her habitat down on the floor near his. I think it is a lovely idea to put some more hidey-holes, little boxes and so forth, in corners and along the baseboards. It is a carpeted floor, if that makes any difference.

Would he be attracted to, or repelled by, moist soil? I just mixed up a big bin of eco earth, and I'm wondering if he might crawl in there.

This is just so frustrating! I really wanted to get my boys shipped off today. Now I'm not even sure if this guy's going to turn up in a manner that I can get him in the group. I don't suppose there's anything that special about a male OBT, but I promised him to someone, and I hate to fail to deliver.

One thing has surprised me. This new girl is my first mature female OBT, and she is surprisingly calm. She's a big girl, and he is a rather small newly matured boy. Does that explain the difference in their speed and boltiness? He is like a bat out of hell, and she is more like dealing with a Grammostola. This has certainly been a teachable moment for me.

And no, I'm not presently a novelist. But I am trying to finish a dissertation. I teach college-level communication theory and theatre and direct plays. So yes, words are indeed my gig. Right now I could think of a few more good ones that I haven't aired in a while. Do you know General Patton's favorite curse of the many he let fly in his career? I can't possibly repeat it in a family-friendly venue, but is initials are: You G-D, S-O-B, F-A B******! Seems appropriate at the moment and oh-so-fulfilling. :jimlad:
I grew up and still live in Texas, not long ago I brought home some wild giant centipedes and like a moron I let one escape in my room like you. Honestly I did not sleep very well and swore I could hear it walking around at night. Luckily I never told my wife until I caught it, (or maybe another), right outside my room one day after I slept with the window open that whole week. I think that an OBT may be even worse as they can be more aggressive than the shy centipede was. Good luck and may the force or spidey senses be with you. Maybe try leaving some large containers of substrate around with heat lamps like some of the other people suggested.