MM OBT LOOSE IN MY BEDROOM. BEHAVIOR???

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
No, don't think that. It's a crappy situation because 'you' are aware of that, 'your' error, whatever, and, overall... that shouldn't happened. But, as far the risk of bites etc chances are very, very low.

Now I can't explain to you the whole story, but for make a long story short, I've lived with a Scolopendra subspinipes (bite is brutal, eh) on the loose (but I wasn't aware of that) for three months (lol) and nothing never happened. And I have four cats.
Isn't it chilling out in your garden now?

MotherofSpiders

Arachnopeon
I once had an orphnaecus philippinus bolt off the bed...then disappear.....lifted the sheets, comforter gently....nothing. ended up finding him tucked in between the mattress and box spring, as far in as he could squeeze in, not much of him was visible. Disaster averted! Wishing you the best of luck!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Isn't it chilling out in your garden now?
Ah ah, yes :kiss:

But I wonder if he/she managed to survive, after this snow and cold due to Burian. Anyway, my garden offers a lot of dirt for create a comfortable, quite long, burrow... and 'food' always available.

Since those are pure WC, wild preys aren't an issue :)

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
No, don't think that. It's a crappy situation because 'you' are aware of that, 'your' error, whatever, and, overall... that shouldn't happened. But, as far the risk of bites etc chances are very, very low.

Now I can't explain to you the whole story, but for make a long story short, I've lived with a Scolopendra subspinipes (bite is brutal, eh) on the loose (but I wasn't aware of that) for three months (lol) and nothing never happened. And I have four cats.
Well for me there's someone in the house with a not-so-great immune system, and I wouldn't ever risk a free T with potent venom.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well for me there's someone in the house with a not-so-great immune system, and I wouldn't ever risk a free T with potent venom.
Ah, of course... situations like the one you have change completely the whole issue.

My point (as you guessed) was only that is not necessarily written that a bite will happen - despite the bugger in question and the reputation :)

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Distract yourself with a good movie.
Eight legs, two fangs, and an attitude! :vamp:

No, no further developments. He's lying low and I've been a little under the weather this weekend. But I live in Hope. I'm going to take another good long look at the closet tomorrow. And yes, I have a flashlight in one hand, tongs in the other for moving things about.

What do y'all think, would he climb, would he sit low, or something in between? Because you wouldn't think a chalcodes would be a climber, but I walked into this same room once last summer and found a wild one on the wall where it met the ceiling, probably about two and a half to three inch juvenile.

I keep hoping for a repeat of those circumstances, only with the inclusion of a lot of orange this time.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
What do y'all think, would he climb, would he sit low, or something in between?
Is a MM, therefore the attitude can completely differ than a juve/adult 0.1 on the loose: in the 'good' (maybe you spot him climbing a wall - 'OBT' are quite agile at the end - searching for a 0.1 that do not exist) and in the 'bad' way (he already managed to leave the room - altough I don't think that, everything is possible, at the end, in such scenarios).

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
This is true because I would had loved to have 'fun' about your 'OBT' on the loose :angelic:

> Ermahgerd! < kinda Germany flag.

> Screw you Spaghetti :shifty:
Why thank you, but I am doing my utmost to prevent this from happening.
My OBT's enclosure is fail safe, the only escape would happen during maintenance/rehousing, but that only happens in a large empty room or bathroom, so... don't hold your breath.

> And it's screw you Maccheroni! :troll:

@nicodimus22 @Tia B
So much cake! :wideyed:

*NomNomNom!*

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Well here's a thread for all the dweebs and squonks who keep treating OBT acquisitions like it isn't :poop emoji here:. Not to knock @Dovey's experience, mind you, just that YES bad things can and do happen. Xenu knows how much stuff happens that we don't hear about because they're too ashamed to admit it.

Best case scenario, which I'm hoping for, is you come across him looking for a date. Worst case scenario, you get bit. Either way, he's an MM from a species that grows so fast there's no way his remaining lifespan can be but so long.

I didn't read through it all but have you considered using a female enclosure as bait? Even if you don't have a mature female P. murinus, we've seen cases of interspecies tapping. Perhaps the pheromones from her webbing might draw him in.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Is a MM, therefore the attitude can completely differ than a juve/adult 0.1 on the loose: in the 'good' (maybe you spot him climbing a wall - 'OBT' are quite agile at the end - searching for a 0.1 that do not exist) and in the 'bad' way (he already managed to leave the room - altough I don't think that, everything is possible, at the end, in such scenarios).
Very good point. I'm keeping my eyes peeled. So far, I have found three baby Olio's giganteus slings on the ceiling and some interesting moths behind furniture on the walls. I bet he turns up sooner or later.

Or...did he find her? :vamp:
Yes, thank you SO VERY much!

Well here's a thread for all the dweebs and squonks who keep treating OBT acquisitions like it isn't :poop emoji here:. Not to knock @Dovey's experience, mind you, just that YES bad things can and do happen. Xenu knows how much stuff happens that we don't hear about because they're too ashamed to admit it.

Best case scenario, which I'm hoping for, is you come across him looking for a date. Worst case scenario, you get bit. Either way, he's an MM from a species that grows so fast there's no way his remaining lifespan can be but so long.

I didn't read through it all but have you considered using a female enclosure as bait? Even if you don't have a mature female P. murinus, we've seen cases of interspecies tapping. Perhaps the pheromones from her webbing might draw him in.
Yes, someone suggested that the first night. He is freshly molted, so he may take a day or two to firm up and start laying sperm webs, but I do have a lovely mature female. I have moved her habitat and his habitat with the lid off right next to each other and very near the location I suspect he is hiding. My feeling is heel turn up eventually. I'm just frustrated he won't turn up in time to send him with this group of males today.

athlete96

Arachnosquire
He sees you when you're sleeping.. he knows when you're awake... he knows when you've been bad or good so be good for goodness sake :lurking:

He's being a stubborn bugger isn't he.