Mixing Racial Tarantula Groups

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cross breeding colour morphs/colour variants, mixing racial tarantula groups or different varieties tarantula groups. To me it falls in the same category as part of “hybridization”. Damaging the gene pool. If they’re from different geographic regions/origins, it is unwise to breed different colour forms.

Gogyeng

Arachnobaron
I don't think there is any advantage in breeding morphs either.Perhaps if the genetic pool in the wild is so depleted, or inbreeding is so high, that there may be no other option than to increase variability. So far i know inbreeding however its not as problematic with arachnids as it is with other invertebrates like moths.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I’m not sure we know enough about tarantula biology to really determine one way or the other. Tarantulas can have a lot of variability within a species. If the different color variants can be found in the same population, I think breeding two different color forms together would not be a problem. If however they are separated geographically then I think we should keep them separate.