1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mites or springtails???

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Keke713, Oct 10, 2018 at 10:43 PM.

1. Keke713

Keke713 Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    So doing my nightly check on my cresties terrarium and noticed these little guys on his poop. I do have isopods and springtails in his enclosure so I’m wondering if maybe these are mites? If anyone can help me out it would be really appreciated. 51EF4250-C162-4843-A7D2-DBF92BA24E6A.jpeg

2. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
  3. Keke713

Yeah I was almost certain not springtails as I have a whole culture of them in a separate container. So mites then?

4. Gaherp

Gaherp Arachnofarmer Old Timer

It is mites, but I would not worry about them. I have mites pop up from time to time in cages with springtails and isopods present. Usually the fluctuation of edible things(molds, dead insect parts, rotting plant matter....) your cleanup crews is also great for mites. It usually is when the colonies of springs and isopods start declining that these guys thrive. They are a pain for folks to see, but I have yet to have any mites pose any threat to my T's. Also if you see them pick up the ones you see and discard them. If I see a batch somewhere I squish them on site.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Keke713

Ok cool that’s reliving! So do you think it’s best that I add more springtails?

6. Dorifto

Dorifto Arachnopeon Active Member

Both, isopods and springtails

7. Gaherp

Gaherp Arachnofarmer Old Timer

Yep, I add more to compete with the undesirable mites. Even though the mites serve the same purpose I like the pods and springs better.

8. Keke713

Ok sounds good I will do that tonight! Thank you guys! Had me a little worried!

9. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Mites. they can explode in numbers, get them out.

• Informative Informative x 1