Mites on centipede spiracles

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Well, I just checked on my big tiger E. rubripes to find mites on several of its spiracles. I didn't see any in older photos I got of the pede, so I presume they appeared recently. Does anyone have any advice on removing mites from such a presumably delicate and sensitive area?

Salvador

Arachnosquire
You could knock her out and *very* gently try to brush them off. Or get some mail-order predatory mites. I think it was @Scoly on a FB group who showed a trick before where he removed a centipede, put it in a tub where the hide was an avacodo (or similar) peel made into a sort of cave, and the mites moved themselves off to feed on the avacado while the centipede hid inside.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
I think I'll go for the paintbrush option for now, as I believe there may be a little hassle involved with getting predatory mites. Anyway, do I have to put something on the brush?

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
I usually just change the substrate and brush off the pede right after a good meal on the old substrate so there won't be any new organic matter in the new sub for a week or more. I brush off the pede before transferring it.This combined with a little dryer sub, and a bowl of fresh water, will hopefully starve the mites out that remain. So far it has worked. I haven't had to deal with the hypopus mites (from California) that actually thrive on the pede itself yet.

Salvador

Arachnosquire
Don't use vaseline near the spiracles! It's oil-based and insoluble. You could potentially plug a spiracle by mistake, and it's not the easiest of materials to remove. Just try a dry paintbrush first.

DubiaW

Arachnobaron
Are mites always a problem with centipedes?
Not really supposed to be. But it isn't altogether bad if you see them. It is just an indicator that there is too much waste in the substrate and it needs to be changed. Better to see mites than a sick or dead centipede. The mites will dwindle if the substrate is changed out.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
My main issue is the fact that they're on the spiracles. Still, they're only on a few, and there aren't that many. Would a substrate change suffice?

Salvador

Arachnosquire
It won't help get the ones you have on your centipede come off, and they can last a very long time in the phoretic stage. If it's not that many then I wouldn't bother about it, it just looks unsightly. What hassle might you come across with getting pred mites?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think so... It's water based so I'd highly doubt it :) Best of luck my friend:)
Vaseline is petroleum based, NOT water based. You don't want to use it directly on your centipede. It might clog his spiracles or he might ingest it while trying to clean it off himself.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
Vaseline is petroleum based, NOT water based. You don't want to use it directly on your centipede. It might clog his spiracles or he might ingest it while trying to clean it off himself.
I thought it was water based? My bad

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I thought it was water based? My bad
No, KY jelly is water based. Vaseline is oil based. (That's also why vaseline is a bad choice for a personal lubricant, because it can dissolve latex condoms.)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
(That's also why vaseline is a bad choice for a personal lubricant, because it can dissolve latex condoms.)
This statement, no matter how much accurate and scientific, was able to give me a boner, since I'm a perv :)

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Oh, thanks for warning me against the Vaseline. Maybe I'll just let them be now, and deal with them should they increase. For now, a substrate change should do.