Mites in dry enclosures?

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I've been noticing the last couple weeks that in some of my slings' enclosures-those which are nearly completely dry or slightly damp in one small section of their enclosures-there are tiny mite-sized crawlies moving to and fro. I'm not sure if they're traveling on my long dresser (which most of my slings are located there) to the other enclosures or if they're spawning in individual enclosures.

I'm not actually sure if they are mites or not, or some other species of crawly. I'm planning on picking up some isopods the next couple weeks, but I'm not sure what to do about my enclosures where the substrate is completely dry?

I tried to take a photo but they just move so quick and so small I can't get a good photo of what they are.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Could they be springtails? (Springtails can jump) Are they on your T? Any bolus in enclosures?
If not on T -- wouldn't be as concerned. Still, no one wants volunteer bugs.

Drying out may assist in bug eradication ... but still gotta meet sling moisture needs.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Springtime need a moist environment I believe. They won't do well in dry cages.
Could they be pinhead crickets?

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
True - I keep my colony of springtails swampy.
OP mentioned seeing her 'mites' in nearly dry and slightly damp areas of her sling enclosures... so I just wanted to rule out something harmless like springtails first.
I hope whatever she has is harmless.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
but they just move so quick
The mites I typically see, and many see on here from my observations, aren't quick. They are about 0.5mm in length, typically grain mites is the common name. They will go into bone dry containers too. I believe they are attracted to T poop based on many observations. I HATE MITES.

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I doubt they're springtails, since they don't have the elongated bodies. I'm thinking most likely they are grain mites and/or white mites. While I know isopods can be used to control them in wet enclosures, I'm not too sure how to control them in dry enclosures.

As far as I can tell they are not on any of my tarantulas. Oddly enough I can only see them in the deli containers I keep my small slings in, not in the larger critter keepers I keep my larger specimens enclosed in.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I hate mites. :(
Grain mites are generally considered harmless, more of a nuisance -- but I imagine a full infestation might annoy Ts.
The treatment for grain mites is to dry things out (just like for springtails).
I've never had grain mites in T enclosures, just in mealie colonies.
Not sure what kind of mites you have -- and mites are darn near impossible to photograph for ID'ing.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The mites I typically see, and many see on here from my observations, aren't quick. They are about 0.5mm in length, typically grain mites is the common name. They will go into bone dry containers too. I believe they are attracted to T poop based on many observations. I HATE MITES.
I hate mites. :(
Grain mites are generally considered harmless, more of a nuisance -- but I imagine a full infestation might annoy Ts.
The treatment for grain mites is to dry things out (just like for springtails).
I've never had grain mites in T enclosures, just in mealie colonies.
Bloody things love the bin that I keep my breeding population of roaches in but I ever don't see them in my "general population" bin, I started noticing them when my mealworm colony became absolutely riddled with the things, they don't go near my T enclosures though as all the ones that aren't bone dry have the native springtails in them.

boina

Lady of the mites
Scavenging mites do the same work as springtails and isopods - they clean up. I'm not sure why they got such a bad reputation, possibly because they can get out of control and become a nuisance. General advice: leave them be, they are helpful, but you may add other bugs to prevent explosive population growth.

Mites in dry enclosures: impossible. They need moisture. They may only be passing through.

starnaito

Arachnosquire
I have all arid species, and I only recently noticed mites for the first time. A week or so ago, I bought a T from a reptile show, only to discover that she had a lot of issues, mites being one. Although I put her into a new enclosure immediately, the mites quickly reappeared in her new home, so she had to have been carrying them with her. She does a lot of hair-kicking behavior despite the fact that she hasn't any hair left back there and nothing is obviously irritating her. She also moves around quite a bit like she's trying to get away from something. I'm pretty sure mites are to blame. I just cleaned things up and changed the substrate a second time. Hopefully I've reduced the population enough now that they will stop bothering her. Her previous home was really stressful for her, and I really just want to give her some chill time for once.

In this whole process, I noticed a few mites outside the new T's enclosure, creeping toward my other T's homes. I'm not terribly concerned at this point so long as it's not an army of them. So, yes, they can appear in dry habitats. I'm not a fan of moving my Ts around when I don't have to, and I keep things clean with the help of tongs. I accept that, despite my best efforts, mites will likely always be around in some capacity, but it spells war if they start messing with my Ts.