misting system for T. Blondi

hippiebrian

Arachnopeon
Watch out for those misters/foggers. They can become a hot bed for bacteria, algae, and mold if not proberly taken care of. I'd never use one for any animal, frogs included, for that reason alone.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with BigBoy, Fran and others. Foggers seem like more trouble than they're worth, at least where spiders are concerned. The moisture content of the substrate and ventilation in your enclosure should be enough to maintain the proper humidity.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Right now, I have my girl in a 55 setup with nothing covering the screen. When misting everyday I'm able to keep the humidity between 70 and 80:( what about a perforated plastic sheet?

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Right now, I have my girl in a 55 setup with nothing covering the screen. When misting everyday I'm able to keep the humidity between 70 and 80:( what about a perforated plastic sheet?
You could probably tape up the inner part of the lid. Like others have stated. It would keep more humidity in as well. Also what kind of humidity gauge are you using?

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A plastic sheet will work, so will saran wrap or any other plastic wrap. Just cover ~80% of the top (depending on ambient, substrate moisture levels, etc) and you're good to go. I personally prefer plexiglas because it is nicer looking and more durable. Also, it's very simple to work. Just buy a piece of plexiglas, and a scoring/cutting tool. Score the plexiglas (many,many,MANY times until there is a deep groove) to the size you want, and then snap it by placing it halfway over a stable surface and pushing the overhanging end firmly while keeping the other end in place on the table. If you want to get really fancy, you can completely replace the screen top and install a handle and locking mechanism like you see on most acrylic tarantula cages.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A plastic sheet will work, so will saran wrap or any other plastic wrap. Just cover ~80% of the top (depending on ambient, substrate moisture levels, etc) and you're good to go. I personally prefer plexiglas because it is nicer looking and more durable. Also, it's very simple to work. Just buy a piece of plexiglas, and a scoring/cutting tool. Score the plexiglas (many,many,MANY times until there is a deep groove) to the size you want, and then snap it by placing it halfway over a stable surface and pushing the overhanging end firmly while keeping the other end in place on the table. If you want to get really fancy, you can completely replace the screen top and install a handle and locking mechanism like you see on most acrylic tarantula cages.
thanks dude, once I have the money and room I'm going to set up my T room for both my girls, and add a few more to the collection

---------- Post added 01-30-2012 at 02:34 PM ----------

For the most part, aquariums and screen lids when keeping high humidity species are more trouble than they are worth.....look into getting a plastic or acrylic enclosure for your spider. In the long & short run, you save yourself effort and possible health issues for your spider. If you don't feel that you spider deserves the best possible environment, let someone else give it that opportunity. :)
In the 10 plus years of keeping arachnids I've always used glass aquariums. But I'm always looking for new and different ways of keeping them..I would never give them up.. I love them both equally

---------- Post added 01-30-2012 at 02:35 PM ----------

You are very welcome.
Nice set up btw. Why not go bigger though?

---------- Post added 01-30-2012 at 02:37 PM ----------

You could probably tape up the inner part of the lid. Like others have stated. It would keep more humidity in as well. Also what kind of humidity gauge are you using?
zoomed humidity and thermo gauges. stupid question, when you say tape up the inner lid, just cover the screen with tape?