1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing Scorpion

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Tornadic Mogwai, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Tornadic Mogwai

Tornadic Mogwai Arachnopeon

glasgow
    Advertisement
    Now i can imagine this being a popular one but im unaware what to do in my scorpions best intrest.
    i got my little asian forest scorp at the end of october hasnt eating infront of me once and sometimes there still a cricket in there a few days later, i know its not good to leave it in but its the only way it will eat. it has always hidden away out of sight only about 2 1/2 inches but i have it in a small exo terra there is a few possible hiding spots especialy under a bit of drftwood that sits diagonally in the tank buried deep in the substrate so for that reason m worried to moved it incase its burrowed down deep and the pressure when i move the wood kills it.
    havent seen it in a few weeks i just maintain the atmosphere inside as there live plants too.

is there any safe way that wont stress out the scorpion to bring it to surface? i thought about miniture flood in the suspected burrow area but im far too worrried of it drowning so thats wiped.

2. Dry Desert

Dry Desert Arachnobaron Active Member

UK

.[/QUOTE]
    As scorpions are natural burrowers, some spending 90% of their lives underground why should they want to come to the surface. Leave it alone, it will do what is natural if it's happy.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  3. Tornadic Mogwai

glasgow
    well i hear there nocturnal and mostly come out at night to eat drink or whatever.
    not a big issue just wanted to know if there was a way to check its still alive without stressing it out. guess not

4. Dry Desert

UK
    Not necessarily O.glabifrons - African burrowing scorpion - usually comes out twice a year if content.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  5. Tornadic Mogwai

glasgow
    i see i suppose it will be a special moment when it does show face i suppose.

6. Dry Desert

UK
    Scorpions are not known for being over active , some species of Pandinus are affectionately known as " Pet Holes "

7. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

I am not an Scorpionguy, but mostly they are like fossorial spiders. I had an P muticus female i didnt se for almost a year! Little boring mmm maybe? But thats their natural lifestyle, just as "Dry Desert" said i am sure your scorpion is fine!

8. Dry Desert

UK
    You stated earlier that " you were maintaining the atmosphere for the plants " What temp. are you keeping the enclosure at - will not eat if too cold, and may burrow deep if too cold.

9. Tornadic Mogwai

glasgow
    i maintain an average 24C
    as the heatmmats on the back and doors to terrarium in the front so theres a gradient through the tank with the back being 26C
    humidity is always around 80%

10. Dry Desert

UK
    Humidity is good and as long as the driftwood / burrow is not on the cool side as 24C is as low as you want.

11. Tornadic Mogwai

glasgow
    just took the temp reading the woods also 24C although thinking about the scorp burrowing if its too cool .. its will get cooler the further in the substrate it gets. im just comming to the terms that i have but also dont have a scorpion all i can do is maintain the terrarium and hope for a nice surprise.
    thanks for your responses.